Teaching the high level pattern

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I was hoping for a bit of anatomical info. Maybe how to suspend things.

What I see is her sinking into the flex of the front leg, but not letting her head/weight get ahead of the rear hip or lose her scap pullback. Being able to maintain her position over the rear hip while waiting on the ball means she can still execute the swing mechanics that work best for her. When she allows her head/weight to get ahead of the rear hip at launch, things don't work well for her.

Oct 2, 2017
What I see is her sinking into the flex of the front leg, but not letting her head/weight get ahead of the rear hip or lose her scap pullback. Being able to maintain her position over the rear hip while waiting on the ball means she can still execute the swing mechanics that work best for her. When she allows her head/weight to get ahead of the rear hip at launch, things don't work well for her.
Starting to see this with DD as well.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Drill after drill is posted? Do this, do that right? Trying to do the drills and see how it would be beneficial. I hit in my back yard.

I believe Mike's intent is to share what he does/did, what his process is with his students, what worked (and didn't) for them, and why he did it that way. Maybe someone can learn something from it.

For a parent of a young player just starting to figure some things out, but not knowing how to approach it, maybe this thread will serve as a useful guide on how to sequence their instruction. More than a few of us struggled with having a ton of information, but not really sure how to use it, and ended up dumping way too much on our young DDs before either of us were really ready.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Starting to see this with DD as well.

I've mentioned before that this was a light-bulb realization for me. When I started comparing the head to rear hip relationship throughout the swing, I found that Maddie's best swings were always with her head over her hip at launch, and would move rearward (hip relationship, not in space) through the completion of the swing. This is what Mike and I started referring to as "working over and behind the hip".

Left = Good / Right = Bad
1652726008832.png
1652726407609.png

When I started looking at pro swings, I found the same thing in a lot of them (not all).

This is when the understanding of the 1-legged swing concept became a lot clearer for me. Using muscles of the back to pull rearward is a critical piece of the puzzle. Maddie and Mike did a lot of work related to working over/around/behind the rear hip...but that's a chapter later in Mike's program. Let's not skip ahead too far ;)

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
I’m starting to believe some of these movements are fluff or better said, a do this so you don’t do that. Maybe an exaggeration of sorts. So one can limit flaws I guess. I’m not sure.
I believe Mike's intent is to share what he does/did, what his process is with his students, what worked (and didn't) for them, and why he did it that way. Maybe someone can learn something from it.

For a parent of a young player just starting to figure some things out, but not knowing how to approach it, maybe this thread will serve as a useful guide on how to sequence their instruction. More than a few of us struggled with having a ton of information, but not really sure how to use it, and ended up dumping way too much on our young DDs before either of us were really ready.
I’m sharing things I did back then and now having experience and a deeper knowledge and understanding would do different now.
W your not the audience I was thinking about when I decided to put this out. Fluff…. Please

Oct 2, 2017
I've mentioned before that this was a light-bulb realization for me. When I started comparing the head to rear hip relationship throughout the swing, I found that Maddie's best swings were always with her head over her hip at launch, and would move rearward (hip relationship, not in space) through the completion of the swing. This is what Mike and I started referring to as "working over and behind the hip".

View attachment 25594
View attachment 25595

When I started looking at pro swings, I found the same thing in a lot of them (not all).

This is when the understanding of the 1-legged swing concept became a lot clearer for me. Using muscles of the back to pull rearward is a critical piece of the puzzle. Maddie and Mike did a lot of work related to working over/around/behind the rear hip...but that's a chapter later in Mike's program. Let's not skip ahead too far ;)
I've been using a similar general cue of "get on the rear hip then get behind it". It's been having a good response from her and even a few other players on her team.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal

View attachment 25594
View attachment 25595

I like the hitter on the right more. The head/eyes can stay quieter but you gotta swing what works.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28