Teaching the high level pattern

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
The name of the drill says it all

Whose name? Yours or CBs? I’m trying to understand what makes what go? How this thing works? Or are you just gonna put drills up and say do this and you’re good? I’m trying to understand a bit deeper.

Edit: if you don’t want to answer that is fine. I know you have an agenda/plan. Your words not mine.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Whose name? Yours or CBs? I’m trying to understand what makes what go? How this thing works? Or are you just gonna put drills up and say do this and you’re good? I’m trying to understand a bit deeper.

Edit: if you don’t want to answer that is fine. I know you have an agenda/plan. Your words not mine.

I don't think this is a "you should do this" thread.

Aug 20, 2017
Looking at some of the videos of Maddie it looks to me like connection between the hands and shoulders is really good. Maybe I don’t see the actively turning the barrel with the hands. I don’t understand the take the arms out of it and use the hands to turn. I am seeing the hands staying connected to the rear shoulder. The initial tilt of the shoulders looks to have the hands And arms pretty quiet.

Oct 2, 2017

W in all fairness you already said you took this class 8 years ago. So, you should already know what makes things go. How this works. Right? Mike stated from the get go that this is thread was about his experience and how would go about teaching it. Not about you should do this, for some it might not be a direction they wish to go. No harm. No foul. He is not claiming this what pro's do etc. He is claiming that this method has produce positive results with his students.

Stop at contact drill reinforces the idea of being in a good general position at contact, body wise, barrel etc. Obviously things can change depending on pitch location etc.

Oct 2, 2017
Looking at some of the videos of Maddie it looks to me like connection between the hands and shoulders is really good. Maybe I don’t see the actively turning the barrel with the hands. I don’t understand the take the arms out of it and use the hands to turn. I am seeing the hands staying connected to the rear shoulder. The initial tilt of the shoulders looks to have the hands And arms pretty quiet.
I once had a problem seeing it as well. I now believe active turning is there at the outset of launch. I've experimented with it my self. Why its hard to see, I believe is due to the bottom hand and the slotting of the elbow happening at the same time along with the bottom half etc.. As well as the timing aspect and reaction of the hitter. In my experiement it seems the instant torque turns into a radial deviation

All combined it produces what Mig shows 1 handed here.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

I’m starting to believe some of these movements are fluff or better said, a do this so you don’t do that. Maybe an exaggeration of sorts. So one can limit flaws I guess. I’m not sure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802