Teaching the high level pattern

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2019
I made a commitment 6 years ago to teach my students the HLP way of hitting. It happened by accident, I was able to get the then, (2016) Oregon assistant coach to see my player. He was wonderful and stayed the whole game. The only thing he said, "She has to be able to hit 68MPH." I found Richard on his Hitting Illustrated website. This was pre Arron Judge announcement, so he had more time and was available to discuss the swing.

Fast forward to today , I have 6 years experience and several success stories and lots of video examples. My time with Maddie and Haley is just about over and I have a 12 Yr. old granddaughter I'm fighting, sorry working with. Looking back at Haley's swing , knowing what I now know, I'd take a different approach to make her transition smoother. I see a lot of moms and dads doing too much too soon especially when trying to teach hitting in general but with HLP you can really end up in a ditch.

What I needed in the beginning was a starting point. Understand and pick a method to teach. I was getting input from others that was good advice but didn't match up with the HLP method. if your choosing something different, that's great but don't mix the teaching especially in the beginning.

Mar 22, 2016
Southern California
I made a commitment 6 years ago to teach my students the HLP way of hitting. It happened by accident, I was able to get the then, (2016) Oregon assistant coach to see my player. He was wonderful and stayed the whole game. The only thing he said, "She has to be able to hit 68MPH." I found Richard on his Hitting Illustrated website. This was pre Arron Judge announcement, so he had more time and was available to discuss the swing.

Fast forward to today , I have 6 years experience and several success stories and lots of video examples. My time with Maddie and Haley is just about over and I have a 12 Yr. old granddaughter I'm fighting, sorry working with. Looking back at Haley's swing , knowing what I now know, I'd take a different approach to make her transition smoother. I see a lot of moms and dads doing too much too soon especially when trying to teach hitting in general but with HLP you can really end up in a ditch.

What I needed in the beginning was a starting point. Understand and pick a method to teach. I was getting input from others that was good advice but didn't match up with the HLP method. if your choosing something different, that's great but don't mix the teaching especially in the beginning.
***Raises hand*** My name is Seth, and I fall into the "too much, too soon" parent. Regrettably. Now....someone point me to the cookies and punch?

May 16, 2019
Turning the barrel IMO is what I teach 1st...
Most kids play year round with little off time. Teaching TTB 1st you can at least continue to make contact with the ball.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
***Raises hand*** My name is Seth, and I fall into the "too much, too soon" parent. Regrettably. Now....someone point me to the cookies and punch?

I was, too. Thankfully, for Maddie's sake, I figured out that I needed to step back. However, that stepping back lead to her hitting instruction (by her TB HC) going down a path I didn't fully agree with. Heading into HS, Maddie realized that she had stopped progressing, and lessons were just repetition of a handful of the same drills. I suggested making a change of instructor, and she quickly agreed it was the right decision. That was the start of Maddie's work with Mike. Watching them work together, and discussing swing concepts with Mike, my own understanding of swing mechanics evolved and became much clearer. Because Maddie has always been strong and athletic, I think she would have found a way to be successful, but I have zero doubt that Maddie's work with Mike was significant in her reaching a higher level.

Maddie and Haley started working with Mike about the same time. It's been interesting watching how they have differed in adapting and implementing Mike's instruction.

May 16, 2019
I was, too. Thankfully, for Maddie's sake, I figured out that I needed to step back. However, that stepping back lead to her hitting instruction (by her TB HC) going down a path I didn't fully agree with. Heading into HS, Maddie realized that she had stopped progressing, and lessons were just repetition of a handful of the same drills. I suggested making a change of instructor, and she quickly agreed it was the right decision. That was the start of Maddie's work with Mike. Watching them work together, and discussing swing concepts with Mike, my own understanding of swing mechanics evolved and became much clearer. Because Maddie has always been strong and athletic, I think she would have found a way to be successful, but I have zero doubt that Maddie's work with Mike was significant in her reaching a higher level.
I totally agree , Maddie would have found success , she's that good of an athlete. Maddie doesn't want to be told what to do but help point her in a direction she wants to go and get out of the way. Maddie's 1st comment to me when I asked her what she was looking to work on, "I've been hitting ground balls for the last 6 months." Thanks for all the trust and support Eric... and friendship.

Mar 22, 2016
Southern California
Thanks Seth....
Ellie just isn't wired like Maddie or Haley. She doesn't have the love for it like I do, or like I wish she did. So over the past 12-18 months, It's been all softball all the time. Too young to start that at 9 years old, and now practices and games and extra work are mostly seen as chores (she's fine once she starts doing it, but she'd prefer to be in her room alone). Stupid lock down and pandemic attributed some to that.

Any way, just venting/sharing. While Ellie has had success before, we're now at a point that it seems her confidence is minimal and she's struggling to make any hard contact. Which compounds the pressure she puts on herself and the frustration.

Oct 2, 2017
Ellie just isn't wired like Maddie or Haley. She doesn't have the love for it like I do, or like I wish she did. So over the past 12-18 months, It's been all softball all the time. Too young to start that at 9 years old, and now practices and games and extra work are mostly seen as chores (she's fine once she starts doing it, but she'd prefer to be in her room alone). Stupid lock down and pandemic attributed some to that.

Any way, just venting/sharing. While Ellie has had success before, we're now at a point that it seems her confidence is minimal and she's struggling to make any hard contact. Which compounds the pressure she puts on herself and the frustration.
DD is 11 right now, I've learned that things go much better with practicing things etc. outside of team when the issue isn't pressed so seriously and also keep changes to things like swing mechanics to a minimum.

May 16, 2019

I don't remember when you had brought Ellie for lessons but I do remember she was quite young. It was Pre Covid so it's been a few years. My Granddaughter is not as serious as I'd like either and I would get very frustrated but my wife reminded me that she is my GD and why can't I just enjoy our time together. Since doing that things are better for both of us and now at 12 yrs old she's getting more competitive and wants to excel at hitting and pitching.

BTW very few are wired like Maddie or Haley.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28