Teaching the high level pattern

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
She doesn’t swing the foot down either. She gets it down early. Some kids I cue on when to get the foot down and some on when to get the foot up. This girl lands with the heel off the ground and goes to the ground with her heel when she launches.
Depends how you define "swing the foot down". There are some smoke screens regarding this. The truth is that the front foot can touch the ground and still not be "down". Its all about force or pressure.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Depends how you define "swing the foot down". There are some smoke screens regarding this. The truth is that the front foot can touch the ground and still not be "down". Its all about force or pressure.

Im not sure about that. Frontal pressure gets suspended by sagittal pressure. The ball or heel of the foot as far as pressure goes will/should produce different paths thereafter.

Reactions: TDS
Oct 26, 2019
Some kids when cued to get the foot down will totally stall themselves out and lose any kind of tempo. Some maintain tempo. With my students, I usually define foot down as the whole foot.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Some kids when cued to get the foot down will totally stall themselves out and lose any kind of tempo. Some maintain tempo. With my students, I usually define foot down as the whole foot.
When I still instructed I honed my instruction to each individual student. Some tended to lunge so we worked on better body control. Some would get stuck back so we would work on the move out. While I have used the "swing the foot down" analogy in forums I never used it with a student. I'm just pointing out that some posters will try to deceive you by twisting certain comments. Its unfortunate that people feel the need to stoop to those depths but it happens regularly.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
It’s not weight transfer. It’s a spring that snaps.

It’s not magic. No special beans. Or hip coils. He’s speaking of the posterior chain. I believe you commented on that in another thread as well through ‘posture’. Maintaining that sagittal load until it’s turned into rotation via the feet and knees. The sagittal load gets you to the desired position and rotation transitions/planes you to the ball. Flexion to extension of the hips and forward bend to side bend of the torso.

Edit: like I’ve been saying it’s not magic. The sagittal plane gets/keeps you in a position to use the vertical force and control the frontal force to feel ‘early’ or in control. It can be as simple as stabilizing the posterior chain at set up or getting sequentially loaded to where the s plane can’t be used until the frontal plane is ready aka getting the foot down ‘early’.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Forces as they should be applied:

Frontal-sagittal-transverse.

Frontal is a horizontal force. Sagittal is a vertical force. Transverse is rotation. It’s why we stay in our ‘hinge’ early. To not leak the frontal. It’s why we stay in ‘posture’ longer. To not leak the sagittal. It’s why we don’t open the shoulders early. To not leak the transverse. These filters need to push the energy from plane to plane so there isn’t any energy leaks.

AJ doesn’t leak anymore bc the scap load back against the back hip is gone. He does it in sequence now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802