Teaching the high level pattern

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
For me the hands dictate when you put your foot down and when/how much you separate. Of course the eyes tell the hands but I’m just speaking mechanically. This guys concepts are spot on imo.

How does the hands dictate when to put the foot down?

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
@TDS @Cannonball @Mike-Coach Q I am a stickler for things like this. I don’t want to train open hips. I want that to happen from the timing of the ball. That’s what sequence is all about I thought. The last thing you want imo is a kid who can’t cover the outside part of the plate slow or fast. Fundamentally i think it’s bad. Just to cheat the stretch? It’s like cheating leverage by swinging up. Another flaw that will eventually have to be fixed.

Teaching separation is a dead end imo. It varies so much and at different times and positions of leverage that it should be a reaction? So you train open hips and can’t touch 80% of pitches during a game, then what? Tell the player to stay square? Then they won’t know how to create stretch. I have a new 11 yo that just started w me. Couldn’t pull the ball. Casty draggy etc. here’s the first lesson. Taught her core contraction and she can now turn. Still a bit casty but she uses a heavier bat than I like so it will take some time. Plenty of stretch/separation.

View attachment 26279

Just trying to discuss things here. Don’t take it as combative. That open hips stuff is poo-pooed by the scissor guy. I think he’s swung the pendulum to far the other way but that’s another story.

Imo Sean Foley has a good handle on the equation. He’s a golf coach. But the same rules apply. good space + good time= Success. That’s done w timing the ball not a position and not over stretching anything unless the pitch calls for it. I think that’s what AJ has changed this year..

WW, lets start here. One can get into position dynamically and still drive the ball to all fields (Bonds video). What prevents this from happening is the weight shifting across the pelvis during the move out which forces early commitment. In regards to timing the ball you are letting the pitcher dictate the ab while making adjustments to cover the whole zone (not a bad 2 strike approach).

IMO Bonds would own the pitchers of today due to lack of control when hitting their spots.. Guessing the data driven pitchers today are told if you meet certain spin and speed you can get away with more.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
How does the hands dictate when to put the foot down?

Sorry for late response. It’s really just a feel thing. If you aren’t using hour hands it’s tough to time things. Intent based mostly. Not just the ball but spacing and direction, not to mention the ball.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017
Sorry for late response. It’s really just a feel thing. If you aren’t using hour hands it’s tough to time things. Intent based mostly.
Ok, thanks

What if the timing mechanism was moved thought wise from the hands (not to say you don't want us them), but instead placed in the rear hip. There was an old statement made on these forums and other placed "Hit the ball with your rear hip". What's your thoughts on that, would it still be tough to time things? @Cannonball you've used that "cue" before right, with success?

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Ok, thanks

What if the timing mechanism was moved thought wise from the hands (not to say you don't want us them), but instead placed in the rear hip. There was an old statement made on these forums and other placed "Hit the ball with your rear hip". What's your thoughts on that, would it still be tough to time things? @Cannonball you've used that "cue" before right, with success?

For me I prefer reactive rotation. I think it can be useful for a player that doesn’t rotate and is all hands. But you can’t do that while hitting inside heat. The hands have gotta come earlier.. unless cheating to that pitch.

Case in point. Check out Jeremys thread. Hands are a bit late etc etc. then you get front shoulder pulls or flailing hips.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
WW, lets start here. One can get into position dynamically and still drive the ball to all fields (Bonds video). What prevents this from happening is the weight shifting across the pelvis during the move out which forces early commitment. In regards to timing the ball you are letting the pitcher dictate the ab while making adjustments to cover the whole zone (not a bad 2 strike approach).

IMO Bonds would own the pitchers of today due to lack of control when hitting their spots.. Guessing the data driven pitchers today are told if you meet certain spin and speed you can get away with more.

By dynamic you mean on one leg?

Oct 2, 2017
For me I prefer reactive rotation. I think it can be useful for a player that doesn’t rotate and is all hands. But you can’t do that while hitting inside heat. The hands have gotta come earlier.. unless cheating to that pitch.

Case in point. Check out Jeremys thread. Hands are a bit late etc etc. then you get front shoulder pulls or flailing hips.
Don't quite understand that.

I don't know who Jeremy is LOL

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802