Teaching the high level pattern

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 17, 2009
I get the HLP can/does work. But I believe if you ask an 8-year-old to snap/turn the barrel as teacherman proposes, 95 percent of them are going to dump the barrel. Most girls simply do not have the hand strength.
I'm not usually a 'bat-as-solution' guy but I will say this. With my younger daughter I kept her in a short, light bat longer than most of her peers. Now she was a little thing to begin with but very athletic and twitchy. I'm talking 28 inch at 10u and no rush to get longer or heavier. It helped her learn how to use her hands and not prematurely start dragging around something too long/heavy for her.

Apr 20, 2015
RichK I think more moms and dads should read and understand why leaving a kid with a smaller bat than average can make a difference that matters long term.

Agreed. I did the same thing. 28-29 drop 10 at 10. No rush. My kids were average size for their ages

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
When does the knob get pointed back at the pitcher? IMO, it’s somewhere around the sternum and I think TM has stated something similar. I see a lot of younger kids trying to turn the barrel behind the back shoulder and wondering if you use the sternum for a check point. I understand that the pattern is off if dragging that bad with the bat.
My understanding is the use of the back muscles along with the position of the elbow. I’ll touch more on this but I want to complete my thoughts on TTB perpendicular to the forearm. Thanks for the question.

Dec 12, 2020
I introduced my youngest to this, my ds who is now 8, beginning with TTB with his hands as Mike mentioned. He's not the most athletic kiddo, but with just that commitment, there's a huge difference in how quick and short he can be to the ball vs most others he has played with/against at his age.
We actually jumped from a 26/16 to a 28/18 quickly because he began to whip it pretty well. Prob stick there for awhile though...

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I think this is a great topic even though Its probably not what @Mike-Coach-Q intended. That being said, We can always pick apart the swing and other skills and find "Flaws". The real question should be, in the context of the players age and development and their goals, are those flaws really that much of a hinderance? How much of those flaws are going to disappear as time goes on? Are they already have success in spite of those flaws? Whether its concerning hitting or some other skill. JMO

Every coach on our team and every coach I encounter teach the push swing. You know drive through the ball. That is better then bat drag I guess.

There’s a better way to use the hands.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I introduced my youngest to this, my ds who is now 8, beginning with TTB with his hands as Mike mentioned. He's not the most athletic kiddo, but with just that commitment, there's a huge difference in how quick and short he can be to the ball vs most others he has played with/against at his age.
We actually jumped from a 26/16 to a 28/18 quickly because he began to whip it pretty well. Prob stick there for awhile though...
Yes, That’s exactly what to teach a quick swing. Not the swing we see in slow mo.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Hey Mike,

This doesn’t seem to match the barrel perpendicular to the forearm or the hands before the back shoulder mechanics explained earlier. You do see the shoulders go first right? The barrel gets perp well after launch right? What am I missing?

You don’t know, because it’s not your belief system. Your blinded by your belief (whatever that is). Like I said you and TDS don’t understand the HLP.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802