Teaching the bent-fingered rise and the up-and-in

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2010
A good precursor is the bent-fingered curve ball, which is the same grip and release, with the hand cocked 90 degrees, so the finger or "barrel of the gun" is pointing towards 1st base at release. The difference is that instead of a good, low, IR release, you will want to have a "skipping the rock" release where the forearm cuts across the belly, sometimes even with the finger pointing back towards the pitchers belly button. Once they get this down, using the same flicking motion for the rise is much easier, and the callous is already built up. I only add this in there because results can bee seen earlier with a curve for younger pitchers (12-15) until they build up enough speed for an effective rise.

-W

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
A good precursor is the bent-fingered curve ball, which is the same grip and release, with the hand cocked 90 degrees, so the finger or "barrel of the gun" is pointing towards 1st base at release. The difference is that instead of a good, low, IR release, you will want to have a "skipping the rock" release where the forearm cuts across the belly, sometimes even with the finger pointing back towards the pitchers belly button. Once they get this down, using the same flicking motion for the rise is much easier, and the callous is already built up. I only add this in there because results can bee seen earlier with a curve for younger pitchers (12-15) until they build up enough speed for an effective rise.

-W

How can YOU possibly compare a bent fingered riseball to any other pitch when the only things that you know about it is what you have read from my posts on this board?

I hope you are not one of those 'Pitching Experts' that gained all your knowledge from books, VHS's and videos.

Mar 15, 2011
How can YOU possibly compare a bent fingered riseball to any other pitch when the only things that you know about it is what you have read from my posts on this board?

I hope you are not one of those 'Pitching Experts' that gained all your knowledge from books, VHS's and videos.

Hal,

You often have good insights and I enjoy learning from them, but some of the things you say and the tone you take bewilder me. Everyone is free to agree or disagree with what others say but your reply to starsnuffer is over the line IMHO.

I'm not sure what is going on with you, but I wish it would stop. I'm pretty new to the forum and I was initially very impressed with your input. So much so that I ordered your book to help make my DD a better pitcher. There is a lot of good advise in there (other than chapter 20 which I instructed my DD to skip), but comments like the above and those on a riseball thread have me questioning my initial assessment.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Hal,

You often have good insights and I enjoy learning from them, but some of the things you say and the tone you take bewilder me. Everyone is free to agree or disagree with what others say but your reply to starsnuffer is over the line IMHO.

I'm not sure what is going on with you, but I wish it would stop. I'm pretty new to the forum and I was initially very impressed with your input. So much so that I ordered your book to help make my DD a better pitcher. There is a lot of good advise in there (other than chapter 20 which I instructed my DD to skip), but comments like the above and those on a riseball thread have me questioning my initial assessment.

Redbird,

Before you judge me too harshly, perhaps you should peruse the other thread where he eloquently insulted me. What I put here was very toned down.

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
Redbird,

Before you judge me too harshly, perhaps you should peruse the other thread where he eloquently insulted me. What I put here was very toned down.

Maybe you should re read the thread. His comment on the ups not seeing the ball wasn't an insult to you, as I read it. I don't have a dog in the hunt. I couldn't tell a raise ball from Adam. I can look at a video and see the path trace though. After reading you website and responses on here, you take yourself way too seriously, imo.

btw..just show a video of a riseball doing what you say and it shuts everyone up, proving you are right. Based off your post, that's what you are wanting.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
I got to laugh here. I introduce everyone to this pitch 5 years ago. Another well known instructor and his old cronies condemn me hot and heavy saying there was no way that putting downward pressure oon the index finger could possibly give the ball more spin.

They tried it and found out it most certainly does. One instructor even came out of retirement just to pitch with my bent fingered risball. Now there is a video out using my bent fingered riseball.

Interesting. Plaguerism is alive and well on this board.

Have a great season everyone.

Coach Hal

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Hal,

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Sharing your expertise and experience is quite valuable and appreciated by many here at DFP, but the tone of your posts make it seem like you're more interested in being recognized for your contributions and numerous accomplishments than you are in helping young pitchers improve. Not very endearing, but here's to hoping that no one plagiarizes your spelling for fear they'll end up with the plague.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
OK you got me there. Failed to hit the spell check button yet again.

Although, with either spelling, the results are still born from fleas off the backs of rats, IMO

As far as videos go, after 6 or 7 computer crashes since 1999, I lost virtually everythin as far as videos go, except for a small handful of very young students.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
Hmmm. Is this the pitching forum or technical hitting forum??? I appreaciate but don't always agree with the advice given here but I do truly respect the experience of guys like Hal and the many others who take their time to contribute. Sometimes debates or what are at times arguments have been very educational to me.

Aug 21, 2008
I got to laugh here. I introduce everyone to this pitch 5 years ago. Another well known instructor and his old cronies condemn me hot and heavy saying there was no way that putting downward pressure oon the index finger could possibly give the ball more spin.

They tried it and found out it most certainly does. One instructor even came out of retirement just to pitch with my bent fingered risball. Now there is a video out using my bent fingered riseball.

Interesting. Plaguerism is alive and well on this board.

Have a great season everyone.

Coach Hal

Everyone, I sent Hal a private message asking him if I was this instructor who has "stole" his info... since he referenced a new DVD that is apparently using "his method". I never got a reply from Hal if he was referrencing me or not but, if it was a comment pointed towards me, I'm going to be less than amused. I have been holding my riseball the same way for over 20 years, long before I ever heard of Hal Skinner or anything to do with his "book" and insight. To imply that I used his information, or that he somehow invented this pitch is mindboggling. I have often chuckled at the name "bent finger rise"... not sure why bending a finger give the pitch a new name.

But, if Hal is not referring to me... then I will cool my jets. If he's thinking I took his material or anything of the kind... I'm in a state of disbelief.

Bill

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812