Teaching Step Back

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
Pitching instructors, now that all of the major rulesets have been more standardized to allow pitchers to step back with their stride foot are you working this into your lessons? Seems like pitchers who are stubborn about doing things the "old way" will be at a disadvantage?

Feb 15, 2017
I guess the question is - will they be at a disadvantage? Granted I am a novice compared to the experts here, however in my observation those that “take advantage” of that rule in school ball (NFHS) have had less success than they do during travel ball. It appears to me that it throws the hips out of “normal” alignment how they are used to and causes timing issues around open/closed and as a result accuracy and speed (lack of brush timing) isn’t any faster. Now...if they actually trained that way maybe it would make a difference. And I am guessing that to be true. Jury is still out for me at this point. I would love to here the experts opinion on how to treat this “opportunity”.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
My daughters pitching instructor teaching the girls to be comfortable distance behind the pitching rubber. He is not teaching an actual step back since you can not step back in NCAA, or PGF softball.

Jan 28, 2017
DD tried it once in practice and didn't like it but I'm not sure our PC knows how to teach it. I understand MSU pitchers used this technique this fall and liked it.

May 7, 2008
NCAA is changing this year.

My best understanding is the old "cheat" was to take your signal behind the mound then "walk up - (RHP) walk up left foot just touching rubber in back, drive foot onto the rubber" and pitch in one continuous process. This works as weight shift on steroids. A mini version of the walk through or run through drill to train the arm to go faster.

New rule seems to me should be an advantage once it becomes familiar. Certainly the men who have been allowed step back get a greater weight shift from left to right as part of their windup (RHP). Anything new for a pitcher takes time, but with the back foot off you almost get a rocker start on the pitching push off the mound. faster the push off faster the arm has to go to catch up to be in the right place at toe touch.

Nov 18, 2013
This isn’t new though. It’s been allowed for decades and people never bothered using it.

Jul 31, 2019
Here is where I think the new rule will help pitchers that learn how to use it:

With the foot back, you can get into a lean similar to a sprinter in a track block. Sprinters (and I have a few pitchers that do it with the current rules) push using the back (stride) foot then the front (drag) foot

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Will take this approach.
Mechanics are learned.
Bad habits are un-learned
( replaced with good habits)

Because we know there are different mechanics pitcher already use. Some of those mechanics work well for some. While others succeed with a different set of mechanics. There will be pitchers who may not choose to change what they are already doing. Perhaps instructors as well.
Others will change for sure.

Perhaps in time it will show its value. Then become more standard.

Can remember when Crow hopping was not something people were supposed to do but it happened quite a bit. Until they locked down on that pitcher finally changed to adhere to rules where you can't do that.
That took some years really

This will show its value in time.
One way or the other. Like not crow hopping showed.

What I find interesting is that it seems they're implementing this to help give pitchers an advantage. After pushing the mound back to 43 ft and the explosive accelerating balls that are used, obviously the technology of the bats. We saw batting averages sore... kind of beyond what seemed normal or reasonable numbers because they accelerated flight so much.
Much much more home runs. Perhaps this is an equalizer?
To help thoughs inflated batting averages/numbers get back to normal?! (The #'s had inceased nearly easily +.50 to+.75
Home runs increased incredibly!!!)

The changes made to 43'
And flight of ball brought more action and less pitchers duel.
Created more fan base. Less 1 or 2 run games. can remember when International tiebreaker rule was implemented. Also remember playing 24 and 27 inning games. Playing into 11 and 12 inning games was regular.
Prior to internatonal.
Changes are made 'usually' to help the game.

Interested to see what happens with this pitching rule change. And how or not it may affect those batting averages as well.

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
Dd started working on it with her PC yesterday. She used to be one of those pitchers who would just barely have her right heel touching the front of the rubber and left toe barely touching the back of the rubber (RHP). She has long legs so she did this be able to get a better drive and weight shift while remaining legal. Now she starts with her left leg about 2 inches behind the rubber. She states it helps her feel more balanced going into her drive. She transitioned successfully in one lesson.

Nov 18, 2015
Vertigo - if her heel was against the front of the rubber at start, was she sliding her right foot back as part of a weight shift, or was she not really using the rubber at all to push from?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom