Teaching running form

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I have a couple girls who's weakness is speed and both run upright as opposed to leaning forward like a sprinter.
I was thinking of making something for the girls (the U14 team) to practice with that requires them to assume a sprinting position while running - like a backpack frame that has a rope with a jug of sand at the end. We could have some fun with it and then see if we can have races, etc.

has anyone tried anything like this?

May 17, 2012
You should get them into a speed and agility class that is taught by a certified personal trainer. They will teach them to run the correct way.

You need someone to break them down and build them back up.

About Them

Awaiting genuis pills
Aug 30, 2011
Chicago Suburbs
We're currently doing this with my DD (Don Beebe's House of Speed) and it has made a tremendous difference...going from slow to average/above average and learning proper form along the way. Like GunnerShotgun said, "get them into a speed and agility class that is taught by a certified personal trainer. They will teach them to run the correct way." I used to think DD was slow because of poor genetics and apathy, then I found out that she just did not know how to run properly...go figure.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA

BM- that was an Interesting clip of Bolt- but it leaves out the beginning which has more to do with base running. They don't get to that upright position until after close to 10 steps which , given their stride length, they would've been going into a slide by then.
good point about certified trainers

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
I would contact Marc . This is his website. Read some of his softball performance tips. My dd went to one of his camps and learned some tricks and tips. She was already fast, but he taught her to be quick! It makes a difference.

May 23, 2012
Eastlake, OH

BM- that was an Interesting clip of Bolt- but it leaves out the beginning which has more to do with base running. They don't get to that upright position until after close to 10 steps which , given their stride length, they would've been going into a slide by then.
good point about certified trainers

No argument there. I had thought I would see more lean throughout and thought it was interesting to see a more vertical body. Just sharing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812