Teaching pitching to

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 8, 2019
We will be implementing a pre-season clinic to teach pitching to kids at the U10 level. The woman who will be leading it is somewhat old-school and a strong believer in working on speed first and the accuracy will come later.

When teaching kids who are really beginners, my thought is learn how to throw first, then after knowing how to throw well Enough to play catch, you can work on speed (or whatever).

can those of you who have developed pitchers from a young age chime in on whether or not there is a sequence that works best For taking kids from knowing nothing about pitching to being able to play in a game without walking the side?

TIA

Feb 8, 2019
You won't do the kids any favors by teaching poor mechanics "bowling" just to throw some strikes.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Yeah, my sentiments exactly! which is why im thinking to teach them to “throw” first and with the correct mechanics so they have a foundation to build on.

last year some coaches just had the kids pitch at a box and if they could hit the box, they could pitch In a game.

May 20, 2016
Mechanics always come first. I know it's tough when you need pitching and have to throw someone in a game that can get a ball over the plate. But you do a disservice by trying to throw hard without correct mechanics.

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
Agree with teaching speed first. It's a bit over an oversimplification but they need to learn to let it rip. When they do that with good mechanics control will come with practices.

Coaches are so obsessed with "throwing strikes" at young ages, that we support the concept of changing the delivery or taking something off to throw strikes. It's a short cut that hurts the pitcher over the course of their career.

Mechanics I start at the ground and work up start simple foot placement then weight shift and walk off end knee to knee with toe drag. I emphasize without a good foundation the house will fall. Then add in front hand then shoulders then pitching hand no ball. Once they have that add the ball and watch it all fall apart and rebuild.

Apr 28, 2014
Difficult one for sure.
If I had to do it again with DD I'd teach speed first as we did accuracy first.
That said with 10u parents who don't understand they would want to see Little suzie throwing strikes right away.
But by all means proper mechanics always first.

Apr 28, 2019
We will be implementing a pre-season clinic to teach pitching to kids at the U10 level. The woman who will be leading it is somewhat old-school and a strong believer in working on speed first and the accuracy will come later.

When teaching kids who are really beginners, my thought is learn how to throw first, then after knowing how to throw well Enough to play catch, you can work on speed (or whatever).

can those of you who have developed pitchers from a young age chime in on whether or not there is a sequence that works best For taking kids from knowing nothing about pitching to being able to play in a game without walking the side?

TIA
Many well intentioned misinformed parents/coaches are all about speed right out of the gate.
Proper mechanics should be 1st priority. The girls need to be mechanically sound to prevent/reduce the risk of injury.
Once proper mechanics are in place then it’s time for speed/accuracy. I’m not sure one trumps the other at beginning stages. The goal IMO is both because one is no good without the other.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802