Teaching pitching to

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2008
Hilarious
Megobee...
Wait to see wait the instructor does.
There will probably be some structure to the method.

Its just funny....
Questioning from the get go
... part of the process of learning curve for all...

Learn from every situation!

Everybody starts somewhere!

With all due respect, isn't this what the OP is saying? "Structure to the method" is what he's saying... the coach seems to advocate throwing it hard at any cost. That is the structure. Personally, I took his post as though he'd done his research and KNEW this to be the case, not speculation. If it was only a guess that this is what the coach teaches then I would agree... wait and see. I'd be curious if this "old school" coach is also a Hello Elbow coach.

I don't disagree that we can learn from everyone, even if that learning thing is what NOT to do! My concern is a coach who turns someone off to pitching by what they teach. Make no mistake, that can happen with ANYONE, not just this coach in particular. And on the flip side, there may be kids who really take a shine to this strategy. They may throw faster than the next kid and be inspired to keep working!! Although I do believe they'd probably pitch faster ultimately anyway.

Bill

Nov 18, 2013
First step is safe mechanics. After that let it rip. They should throw it as hard as they can and still have some level of control. If the bucket parent chases after three or less out of 10 the kid is game ready.

Feb 8, 2019
Dammit! Im using an iPad, was writing a long detailed post when my thumb inadvertently touched the screen and I lost everything!🤬
Short version- Bill is spot -on! What he taught my DD and I about 10 years ago (at Maine Hits and in video) is the model for what I teach the U8’s and planned to expand on for the U10s when the U8s move up. the existing U10s are really just starting and “why” is a long story.
the volunteer instructor is a mom who pitched in college a while ago and originally declined because ”what they teach now has evolved so much since” she pitched. But i guess she figured she was better than the nothing they were currently getting. we havent talked yet but i did hear her say that she teaches “speed first and control will come with time”. So im expecting wrist flicks and HE to be on the curriculum as well.

my thought was teaching them to just throw correctly
(Mechanics) was the most important thing to teach first.

Feb 8, 2019
Let the instructor apply whatever they are going to do.

See what the structure to their method is......
because i am involved with re-esrablishing a program that has atrophied due to lack of knowing what the hell theyre doing, i think its important to start correctly and create a foundation that can be built upon every year, rather than trying something new from year to year. i plan to meet with her and discuss her game plan with the hope that there will be no wrist flicks and maybe i can teach her enough I/R that she can teach it . (remember, these kids are just starting out) also, we are going to have a HS senior (who knows how to pitch correctly) assisting her.
thanks!

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
because i am involved with re-esrablishing a program that has atrophied due to lack of knowing what the hell theyre doing, i think its important to start correctly and create a foundation that can be built upon every year, rather than trying something new from year to year. i plan to meet with her and discuss her game plan with the hope that there will be no wrist flicks and maybe i can teach her enough I/R that she can teach it . (remember, these kids are just starting out) also, we are going to have a HS senior (who knows how to pitch correctly) assisting her.
thanks!
Understand.

Guess what....
People start in different places.

Try it out. Maybe the first clinic will be enough to say....
Eeehhhh no thankyou
Or maybe good will come of it.

what I find interesting...and what made me laugh.... is that even though this particular instructors goal is what it is....you havent started yet...its being implemented and your already concerned!!!!
Or how about this angle did not read there were say,...three different instructors selected and were inquiring which one does everybody think is the best to use.?!?!

Instead someone selected this one and sounds like you are second-guessing implementing this instructor. It's okay to think. However...
* It's not like just because you start doing this one clinic or lesson you have to do it for the rest of your life.
* Their goal is speed. Its an ASSUMPTION to think mechanics wont be strickly taught and applied!
Perhaps mechanics are going to be main focus to reach goal!

Who selected that instructor?
Maybe there should have been a vote. :)
Or 3 choices? ;)

Realistically...
On any topic people googling can find support & agreement
or contradicting info.
Doesnt matter...
This instructor says this....
That one says that.

All i said was
Have an OPEN MIND!
Its already being implemented.
Its an OPPORTUNITY!

Holy mackerel..... Its not going to distroy anyone to try it once.

*Post intended to be a suggestion to any people going thru this same conundrum!!!

Goooood Luckkk with this!!!!

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2019
Understand.

Guess what....
People start in different places.

Try it out. Maybe the first clinic will be enough to say....
Eeehhhh no thankyou
Or maybe good will come of it.

what I find interesting...and what made me laugh.... is that even though this particular instructors goal is what it is....you havent started yet...its being implemented and your already concerned!!!!
Or how about this angle did not read there were say,...three different instructors selected and were inquiring which one does everybody think is the best to use.?!?!

Instead someone selected this one and sounds like you are second-guessing implementing this instructor. It's okay to think. However...
* It's not like just because you start doing this one clinic or lesson you have to do it for the rest of your life.
* Their goal is speed. Its an ASSUMPTION to think mechanics wont be strickly taught and applied!
Perhaps mechanics are going to be main focus to reach goal!

Who selected that instructor?
Maybe there should have been a vote. :)
Or 3 choices? ;)

Realistically...
On any topic people googling can find support & agreement
or contradicting info.
Doesnt matter...
This instructor says this....
That one says that.

All i said was
Have an OPEN MIND!
Its already being implemented.
Its an OPPORTUNITY!

Holy mackerel..... Its not going to distroy anyone to try it once.

Goooood Luckkk with this!!!!
I appreciate the feedback but think you may be reading too much into this- it is in the planning stage only.
“Failure to plan is planning to fail”

This isnt about the teacher, its about the curriculum.

my original question:
”can those of you who have developed pitchers from a young age chime in on whether or not there is a sequence that works best For taking kids from knowing nothing about pitching to being able to play in a game without walking the side?”

thats all.
no one volunteered and this woman was asked and originally declined but over time, fortunately has decided to give it a shot.

My intention is to help her succeed And in turn help our program. I believe she will be open to that, i just want to be sure we get the absolutes right..

With lacrosse, soccer, dance, figure skating, etc all going on at the same time, softball is just one piece of the pie. So we need to teach them correctly and keep it fun for them!

May 16, 2016
i plan to meet with her and discuss her game plan with the hope that there will be no wrist flicks and maybe i can teach her enough I/R that she can teach it

I face palmed when I read the bolded part... Either find someone who teaches your preferred method, or teach the clinic yourself. This volunteer has zero chance of satisfying your expectations, so why waster her time?

Aug 21, 2008
I face palmed when I read the bolded part... Either find someone who teaches your preferred method, or teach the clinic yourself. This volunteer has zero chance of satisfying your expectations, so why waster her time?

I understand your point wheresmycar. But I don't think it's a bad thing to ask questions, even if the person is volunteering. Obviously there's a right way and wrong way to do that. But there's no harm in asking things to find out what's in store.

Odds are, if this lady is doing this out of kindness, because there's nobody else, etc. then she will likely teach the way she was taught and that's all she knows. Her heart will be in the right place but her knowledge will not be. Asking questions in a respectful manner, without making things public is probably the best thing. I don't think it's anyone's intention to bash a volunteer!

My advice would be to reach out BEFORE the clinic and ask this coach these questions. If you get the wrist flip, hello elbow answers, then you can introduce her to information that refutes it. Hell, I'll even donate a set of my DVD's to her if it'll help.

Bill

Aug 21, 2008
Really...come on...thats an assumption about the instructor needs any help...who hasnt even done one clinic.
The person who needs help is megobee.
How about send megobee your video's.
Agree with wheresmycar
Let megobee run the clinic.

Whoa, where's the assumption? I suggested he reach out and ask questions, not assume the worst. That's not assuming anything! I specifically said if you get the answers you KNOW to be wrong, then I don't think its out of line to offer some help if the coach wants it.

If your child was going to a clinic where the hitting instructors were going to tell her to "squish the bug" or drop her hands and shoulder while pulling her head out and stepping out, not towards the pitcher in the swing, wouldn't you want to know that in advance? Given that you know those things to be wrong, wouldn't you be the slightest bit curious if that's what's going to be taught? I just don't think asking questions is inappropriate here, I fully believe the volunteer and megobee both have good intentions at play.

Come on RAD, don't be offering my videos to megobee for free now too, I already got one set offered to this clinic coach... how am I supposed to make a living if you're offering them free????????? :):):):) ha ha

Bill

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12