Teaching how to play 3B

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 22, 2011
Hi All,

I have two 3B on DD's high school team that weren't taught a lot about playing 3B. I would like to find some videos for them to watch over the summer on how to play 3B. I am a lefty who usually works with catchers, pitchers some, OF, and throw front toss for BP, so except for a little with 1B, I don't work in IF.

I've reached out to their travel ball coaches to get them some reps at 3B during practices and to give them some instruction.

Thanks!

Aug 20, 2017
Think about the plays 3B has to make and rep those. Ones that come to mind: slow rollers between pitcher and SS they need to cut across and field, slow rollers down the 3B line (sweeping backhand play), hard hit grounders forehand side (learn to use 1 hand) hard grounders backhand side (1 hand again), forehand picks (short hops), backhand picks (short hops), hard grounders directly at them (2 hands). Learn to throw from different arm angles! Learn to throw off of your “wrong” foot (right foot for righties). Basic stuff: cutting balls and going to 2B, catch/tag body positioning on steals and other plays at 3B, pop flies in foul territory (and fair territory), fielding bunts.

I can’t emphasize enough learning to use 1 hand to field balls outside of the framework of their body (more range and balance) and throw. Can’t emphasize enough learn to throw from different arm angles and throwing off of their right foot. They need to learn to throw off of right foot during warmups! Matt Antonelli has plenty of good videos on YouTube showing this.

There’s a start!

Sep 18, 2016
At third reading the off the bat becomes the most important because you have to react so fast, if they aren't seeing the ball until it's on the ground too much will get past them. Also working on charging bunts and getting around the ball so you can throw to correct base or tag. Not back out on hard hits because that's when you get hurt by the ball-play the ball,don't let the ball play you. Communication with SS so base isn't left uncovered on steal or pick if third needs to play up. How to properly cover runner/bag on pick or run down.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Learn to throw off of your “wrong” foot (right foot for righties).

3Bs really, really need to know how to throw on the run, so this one 100%. I do quibble with saying it's throwing off the "wrong" foot though, since this is the correct way to throw on the run.

Another thing: 3Bs tend to have more time than they realize since they're so much closer to the ball, and the throw is about the same distance as the throw for a SS (this varies, obviously). Unless it's a bunt/slap, you really do have time to load up to make a strong throw if you're not able to field it on the move.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28