Teaching hitting Carrier/Bustos approach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I use to say it but I got it from some hitting guru that use to swing his orange cambat in his basement. Can't recall his name.

Well your both wrong. Go play catch. Try to lead w your feet or your core or your shoulders, knees or whatever you like(best way to create drag or imbalances) then try to lead the movement w your hands.

Pretty obvious how we move is dictated by the hands.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I think when you understand how the ‘stretch’ happens you realize how important the hands truly are. They govern the entire timing of the movement and it’s quality. Hitting is a timed event 100% of the time.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Wasserman doesn't give out too much free stuff besides water bottle drill which many (coaches included) think is weird or flat wrong. Plus I think he has something against So Cal. He never comes out this way?????

There's enough free stuff to get the idea of what throwing should look like.

I used to use the water bottle drill more, but I don't think it's necessary most of the time. Now I'll only bust it out if other stuff doesn't seem to be getting through. I'm pretty sure Wasserman doesn't use it all that often. I think it works if you get it and buy in, but kids tend to just look at you weird and go through the motions with it.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
hitting area.jpg
Setting up your hitting area. My hitting zone was to wide when I redid my nets, I got around to fixing it. I got the tool. why not use it.
I lasered in the zone. The tee distance to net, hit in this orange zone will be a rising line drive over infielders head.
When you train, why not try to be dead perfect.
My inside and outside hitting ropes will drop the ball 10-15 feet inside fair territory as long as the wind is not blowing too hard....
🙂

Looks like my light on top is 1 inch off center...haha

JOHNN

Just a dad of 3 girls
Aug 5, 2019
South Louisiana

Grip. We teach all the students this grip. Its like a hook. A bit like a gold grip. Bat is in top pad and fingers. With a radar gun, it increases bat speed 3-5 mph. Every student you see of mine will have this grip.

Can you elaborate on this grip? Either Im extremely uncoordinated or what I tried wasnt right.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
I would think with your lead arm/ bottom hand dominate swing you might want bottom hand/wrist to be in hammer striking mode. ???
You use both hands to pull through connected to core. You release both wrists and index finger controls sweet part of bat on release. I focus on a few lead arm drills to get the girls to use the front side of the body and lead arm to pull back side foot up to a point. I focus on them NOT being back arm dominate.
I can tell by my hitting zone if ball flight is correct. Back arm dominate puts ball above the orange zone and correction is needed...:)

SL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood