Teaching hitting Carrier/Bustos approach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2017
1 hour Hitting Lesson.
Throwing mechanics, fielding, glove flip, backhand.
Hitting, one knee, walk up, inside, 45 degree drill, outside, outside one ball out, reverse hand swing, whip hit RHS, change ups tennis balls, high tee, low tee, soft toss, 8 swings with a pro cut, outside, up the middle saying EEEErr for timing, Long heavy bat for sequence.
Pitching motion to them to see there set up from pitching position and work on there timing.

Howard did throwing, fielding, and 95% of his hitting was soft toss in all zones.

SL

SL,

Can you explain EEEErr for timing? Thank you.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
SL,

Can you explain EEEErr for timing? Thank you.
So Howard coaching the Chinese Olympic team needed a way to communicate with hitters for timing. one in Chinese is eeeee. two in Chinese is rr.
All my students can speak Chinese, its fun for them they get a kick out of it....:)
My daughter would whisper this out at the plate and the ump asked her coach, WTH is EEEEERR
EEEEE is slow to load, gather some energy. RR is step out and separate. I have them say this in there head when I soft toss. They end up in perfect Rhythm with me.
I also tell them on the on deck circle, EEEE RR the pitcher. Pitcher in 12 oclock position EEEEE, at point of release RR....Step out.
Now use same slow rhythm with every pitcher. If the are fast start a little earlier, if they are slow, start a little later, but same mechanics every time.

Will post me doing it with a student. I am 65 dont make too much fun of me....:)

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
So Howard coaching the Chinese Olympic team needed a way to communicate with hitters for timing. one in Chinese is eeeee. two in Chinese is rr.
All my students can speak Chinese, its fun for them they get a kick out of it....:)
My daughter would whisper this out at the plate and the ump asked her coach, WTH is EEEEERR
EEEEE is slow to load, gather some energy. RR is step out and separate. I have them say this in there head when I soft toss. They end up in perfect Rhythm with me.
I also tell them on the on deck circle, EEEE RR the pitcher. Pitcher in 12 oclock position EEEEE, at point of release RR....Step out.
Now use same slow rhythm with every pitcher. If the are fast start a little earlier, if they are slow, start a little later, but same mechanics every time.

Will post me doing it with a student. I am 65 dont make too much fun of me....:)

Thanks. I’ve asked my DD to say “hiiiiit ball” in her head but it hasn’t stuck. We’ll try this as well.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I like a 3 count. Yes, yes, yes or yes, yes, no.
Gotta have rhythm. And it doesn't change based a pitchers speed. Its YOUR rhythm. I see a lot a players rush when pitching gets faster.

As long as they know no is stopping the swing physically.

When do you start Yes? And approximately where is the second yes?

Riiiighttt now is good as well. You are stretching the right for timing and now is carrying it out.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
As long as they know no is stopping the swing physically.

When do you start Yes? And approximately where is the second yes?

Riiiighttt now is good as well. You are stretching the right for timing and now is carrying it out.
When they snap prior to toe touch it makes check swings very difficult.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
When they snap prior to toe touch it makes check swings very difficult.

If a kid snaps forward or the HLP snap can’t be checked?

If it’s the the later I say it’s not a problem.

Here, look at this. Look at the barrel arcing back, not forward where you can’t check. The picture gives the bat path, that of an arc and shows swing timing. The info itself is interesting. Not saying it’s 100% accurate, just interesting.

This is Yes, Yes, Yes/No. The decision is made to continue or not, It’s not a discussion to start, it’s a discussion to stop. What did Sue say her approach was, it was to swing every time until you stop.

728DD8A4-D2B0-4E7D-9B74-3BA7B7DA8081.jpeg

It’s on and around, not forward. Your missing when the swing starts.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eb7598