Teaching beginners how to properly throw.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 25, 2014
I've been coaching 6u and 8u rec ball for a couple of years now. I see how other coaches teach there kids how to throw and that's they way I've been doing it. Its always the turn sideways take a step and throw. Is there a better way? Any videos and gifs you can show me. This is for beginners.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Sounds like fun.

Most important thing is to link > throwing, hitting & pitching all together.
I wouldn't start to heavy teaching throwing until you have givin them their confidence in catching the ball.

throwing#1

After watching this, I decided that I needed to get on a level playin ground w/her. I told her I would learn to throw underhanded as she was learning to throw overhanded. I never threw overhand to her again. Love her taking me to task w/ the Calls :cool: I was afraid I was lookin like the guy in the VW Commericial

throwing#2

Yep....totaled that camera & 3 more in this phase...*8U

JMHO :cool:

Years later...keeping my promise

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2014
Sounds like fun.

Most important thing is to link > throwing, hitting & pitching all together.
I wouldn't start to heavy teaching throwing until you have givin them their confidence in catching the ball.

throwing#1

After watching this, I decided that I needed to get on a level playin ground w/her. I told her I would learn to throw underhanded as she was learning to throw overhanded. I never threw overhand to her again. Love her taking me to task w/ the Calls :cool: I was afraid I was lookin like the guy in the VW Commericial

throwing#2

Yep....totaled that camera & 3 more in this phase...*8U

JMHO :cool:

Years later...keeping my promise

Man, that was awesome. A lot of memories to look back on here.

Jul 26, 2010
Play dodge ball. The athletic kids will teach themselves how to throw, the ones who run and hide are your bench warmers.

-W

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I've been coaching 6u and 8u rec ball for a couple of years now. I see how other coaches teach there kids how to throw and that's they way I've been doing it. Its always the turn sideways take a step and throw. Is there a better way? Any videos and gifs you can show me. This is for beginners.

Getting sideways is important at that age because not all kids will do that naturally, so I agree there. It's a common cause for throwing errors in younger age divisions, the failure to get sideways, especially at 3B and SS. Even when they know how to do it, they have to work hard to be consistent at it. Footwork is important.

I've studied throwing a lot the past year. I'm not expert, but I've sought the opinion of many experts here lately and learned through trial and error. Here are some important things to teach, IMO. If others would like to challenge these opinions, please do.

-How to grip the ball
-How to separate the hands at the start
-The hand/arm circle (the basic throwing motion as it pertains to hands/arms)
-How the hips and torso work together and independently. Hips lead.
-Sequence. This is maybe the most important, or most misunderstood. Load, weight shift, separating the hands, bringing the ball back, all need to occur at the right time. Most common error is to bring the ball back too soon. Ball stays near chest until you are beginning the weight shift forward. Don't bring the ball up above the shoulder until front leg has externally rotated out toward target.

Most drills that I see regarding throwing I have decided are a waste of time. The worst? Wrist flips. Also not a fan of getting on one knee to throw.

Worst drill that we commonly see? L drills, where player has throwing arm in an L shape with forearm pointed to the sky while the player is facing sideways. The arm should not get into an L shape until the front leg has rotated externally and the foot is pointing toward.

L drill = failure to understand sequence.

All this is theory on throwing well. How that transfers to teaching young beginners, I don't know. Most kids 6-8 don't have an excellent grasp of body movement yet. Have to be patient. Good luck.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Play dodge ball. The athletic kids will teach themselves how to throw, the ones who run and hide are your bench warmers.

-W

LMAO!

On a related note, the boys at my DD's school fear the softball players during dodgeball. I was told by the PE teacher that my DD hasn't made a boy cry...but it's been close a couple of times.

Feb 3, 2011
One of the extremely important - yet often overlooked - parts of teaching very players to throw is teaching their PARENTS, too, because they're the ones who are going to be playing catch with them in the backyard.

If I were coaching generally 5 through 8yo's, I'd be trying to get them to develop a naturally good throw while they are still trying to figure out how their bodies work. For slightly older players who've already developed poor throwing habits, I'd have to do more breakdowns in order to repair what's broken.

But whichever methods, you choose to employ, be sure to show their parents.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Man, that was awesome. A lot of memories to look back on here.

One thing Good about video, is you got it. No matter how good you were, or bad, it can still encourage someone.

On DD's case, I never seen anyone so bad. I got her general Sofball lessons. To emphisis throwing. 19 two hour lessons, then I was back in the game !!!

yep to DodgeBall... DD is the Champ. She catches it, and puts them out. They won't throw it @ her till last...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812