Teacherman? and fastpitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
No resistance

1610204305103.gif

1610205220383.gif

1610206840160.gif

The lower must load before the upper. So it can unload first. Sequential loading and unloading. Resistance w the upper loads the lower. the lower coming forward loads the middle and upper. It’s all reactive.

Oct 2, 2017
You need to figure out the style of load that your DD is most comfortable with. Bonds uses a toe tap. Sosa too. The majority use the knee lift. Some load styles are quicker. Some take a little longer. What style loads are y’all using?
My DD switched to regular stance with a small pick up and put down. Was doing open. She seems to be enjoying it and it seems to have simplified things for her

Jan 28, 2017
Since COVID her load doesn’t look consistent. That’s why I’m trying to help her figure out a starting point. Some of it is mental. When going good she’s a tuff out. When bad she can’t hit BP

Oct 26, 2019
She was killing the ball and then Covid came. Moved to a new team and they broke out the pitching machine and before I knew it she went no stride. Very little movement and can’t find the before rhythm. Very good point. I’m not against a pitching machine but I always had more trouble hitting off of them. She hits really good off a machine. We are wired completely different
I love pitching machines. I use them for fly balls, ground balls, and bunting ha ha. I very rarely if ever hit off of them. When you are hitting off the machine you have to take an almost 2 strike approach to hitting. Go ahead and get the foot down real early and just be ready to throw the hands. I could see that messing up your timing of a live pitch for sure.

I try to explain to hitters that you would not time a Randy Johnson fastball the same as a Jamie Moyer fastball. My load for Randy Johnson may be earlier shorter or a little quicker. my load for Moyer would be later slower and a little bigger. That’s why I asked if she had a waggle or some rhythm before the pitch because a body in motion tends to stay in motion and that can help with the rhythm of the load to have some rhythm before.

Jan 28, 2017
Gator bait
I love pitching machines. I use them for fly balls, ground balls, and bunting ha ha. I very rarely if ever hit off of them. When you are hitting off the machine you have to take an almost 2 strike approach to hitting. Go ahead and get the foot down real early and just be ready to throw the hands. I could see that messing up your timing of a live pitch for sure.

I try to explain to hitters that you would not time a Randy Johnson fastball the same as a Jamie Moyer fastball. My load for Randy Johnson may be earlier shorter or a little quicker. my load for Moyer would be later slower and a little bigger. That’s why I asked if she had a waggle or some rhythm before the pitch because a body in motion tends to stay in motion and that can help with the rhythm of the load to have some rhythm before.

Was always simple for me. Be on time on deck and that was pretty much it. Start earlier or later. That concept seems to go in one ear and out the other for her.

Jan 28, 2017
It looks like she gets locked into a speed and can’t adjust that day. Pull hitter that has days where she is late. Speed and really slow gives her issues. When hot, she’s hot. She’s 14 and 52-56 she hits fairly consistent. If you move out of that range she either great or terrible and tends to be bad.

Oct 26, 2019
It looks like she gets locked into a speed and can’t adjust that day. Pull hitter that has days where she is late. Speed and really slow gives her issues. When hot, she’s hot. She’s 14 and 52-56 she hits fairly consistent. If you move out of that range she either great or terrible and tends to be bad.
Have you ever tried backing up and throwing really slow to over exaggerate? Sometimes that forces the body to adjust

Dec 11, 2010

Tango, my daughter has been seeing a really good hitting coach since she got home from school. (Added to that, her college team coaches are pretty damn good. She came home for winter break better than she left. Not everyone thinks college coaches are great hitting coaches...)

Anyway, he has been working on many different things but one is a ton of drills that start from a stretched launch position. The “coiled rubber band” so to speak. She has never looked more sudden. Her timing currently seems to be very good.

BTW, what Towney9 said is interesting. This hitting coach doesn’t use the machine for all students but when he has used it with dd it is close (25’-30’ away?) and the speed is pretty low. Pretty much the exact opposite of how I have seen everybody else use a machine.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2017
Tango, my daughter has been seeing a really good hitting coach since she got home from school. (Added to that, her college team coaches are pretty damn good. She came home for winter break better than she left. Not everyone thinks college coaches are great hitting coaches...)

Anyway, he has been working on many different things but one is a ton of drills that start from a stretched launch position. The “coiled rubber band” so to speak. She has never looked more sudden. Her timing currently seems to be very good.

BTW, what Towney9 said is interesting. This hitting coach doesn’t use the machine for all students but when he has used it with dd it is close (25’-30’ away?) and the speed is pretty low. Pretty much the exact opposite of how I have seen everybody else use a machine.

Have always worked from the loaded position but have made more of an emphasis lately. At times she has one of the shortest powerful swings for her size. At other times her swing is long and loopy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802