TB Tryout Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 3, 2018
This may be different in other locations, but, since most travel ball teams play into July, and for Fall ball season, most of those same travel teams have tryouts late July or beginning of August, where does it leave time for pitchers to have their 4-5 week break?? I’m asking because that’s the predicament we’re in. I want a 5 week, uninterrupted break from pitching because I think it’s necessary. To pick up and try to pitch after 4-5 weeks of doing no pitching seems like the tryout wouldn’t go well. I just know from past breaks, it takes a few weeks to get back in premier form with my DD at least. Any feedback would be most appreciated.

Sep 3, 2015
Out here in California, our big break is between fall and spring seasons. Thanksgiving until mid January where there is usually a tournament or two before high school dead time.

They need this break mentally and physically. Parents need it too, it's a grind.

Summer to fall there should a few weeks in there also to get a break.

PGF ends beginning of August (probably not this year even though DDs team has premier invite, TCS Reno anyone??) and I don't think they start playing fall until mid September?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Jul 3, 2018
Out here in California, our big break is between fall and spring seasons. Thanksgiving until mid January where there is usually a tournament or two before high school dead time.

They need this break mentally and physically. Parents need it too, it's a grind.

Summer to fall there should a few weeks in there also to get a break.

PGF ends beginning of August (probably not this year even though DDs team has premier invite, TCS Reno anyone??) and I don't think they start playing fall until mid September?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I’m under the assumption that the pitchers need two full breaks a year to heal and recoup. Am I missing something?

Apr 28, 2014
After the last summer game we give DD 4 or 5 weeks off.. As they get older no tryouts are needed and smart coaches understand the need for a break. August is a good time for it

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Have a plan and stick to it!

Does not matter what anyone considers important for you.
Do whats important for yourself!

Some pitchers throw a heck of a lot more than other pitchers.
Some not so much.
Lots of pitchers have taken the biggest time off ever these past few months.
While others trained on a schedule.

Individual situations differ.
Stay on the schedule and plan that works for you!

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2008
At that age, when you take your breaks is up to you guys as a family. There's no college recruiting going on for her so, playing for a plastic trophy in July/August is pointless if she needs a break. That said, I know we've all been waiting a long time to play ball with the COVID 19 thing so she may be hungry for games/tournaments. I don't know your situation. Just know that winning a trophy on some random weekend in June is pointless in the grand scheme of things.

You mentioned tryouts which brings another question to mind... are these tryouts with teams you already know? Did the coach of the team invite you to tryout? If so, then they probably already know what she can/can't do so, being in mid season shape for tryouts probably won't be as important. If this is one of those organizations that charge you big bucks for trying out and you're going into it "sight unseen" then maybe being in a little shape would help. The more I type the more questions I have with variables attached.

When I was 13, I wanted to pitch until I dropped. Then do it again the next day. And the next. And I didn't have pent up energy from COVID 19. Again, without having seen her it's hard to say this definitively but a 13 year old should be ok pitching and pitching until her winter break I would think. I'd worry about the mental fatigue more than the physical.

Jul 3, 2018
Bill, after our season got cut short, we hit the ground running trying to fix some flaws in her drive mechanics and other issues, so while some girls took that time off, we went into overdrive which was the best thing for her because we got to work on stuff and not have to worry about striking a batter out—no pressure and no worry of taking that one step back to take three steps forward in the middle of the season. It’s been great. I agree with you that some plastic trophy isn’t with messing with our routine.

As for the tryout one of the coaches was her former coach, but that was over a year ago and she’s gotten much better. I’ll just tell them if they wanna see her pitch, they can wait a couple weeks till she knocks the rust off..if they can’t deal with that, I’m sure there will be other teams we can get on. Only problem is she has a few great friends already on it. We’ll see. And no this isn’t some big money team..they play 5-6 tournaments all within not so bad drives. I’m not down with the traveling state to state and World Series in BFE teams.

Apr 20, 2017
With our 13yr daughter we will be playing until the middle of July. Then we will decide if we are changing teams or staying. If we are changing we will probably back off to three days a week pitching and focus on mechanics with drills. Try and get her mechanics cleaned up a little from the season. And get some workouts lined up with prospective teams. Once we accept an offer and depending on fall schedule we will then schedule time off for arm rest. If we are staying put then we will still pitch about 2 weeks after last tournament to clean up mechanics and then take a break. She will get between 2-4 weeks depending on the timing of first tournament. We will plan about 4-6 weeks of pitching before the first tournament.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802