Tanner, 10

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
giphy.gif

Here are 3 hitters who are just getting started. They played at 10u C for the most part last season. I consider these swings as the jumping off point. They did work hard on their pitching this off season and not so much on their hitting. This off season we will work on hitting as well. It was just the case that they were going to the be the pitchers for a new team and their first experience of travel ball, so everytime my niece called me over she wanted to work on pitching (my niece was the coach for their team). They did learn how to pitch in one off season and during the season.

Next time I'll get live toss as well. Just went with tee today. Didn't film the live toss just took swing metrics off live toss today.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
A very typical DBSF arm-powered swing seen in players this age. Helping her learn how to take her arms out of the swing and understanding the concept of a diagonal barrel path will be a huge turning point. Good luck.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
A very typical DBSF arm-powered swing seen in players this age. Helping her learn how to take her arms out of the swing and understanding the concept of a diagonal barrel path will be a huge turning point. Good luck.

Thanks, yes the swing is to flat at and through contact, and the lead arm collapses into the body (doesn't finish away from the body). Aka rolling over, You can see it in the swing metrics as well, 4 degrees on the attack angle.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Here are some simple things that I would do as a general rule for new hitters.

TEE
Set the tee up where you expect to hit the ball. Where is that? It's after stride, with back elbow near the hip and arms extended, and bat an inch ahead of the hands. Where does that end up?
Set the tee where after the stride, it's at the ball of the front foot.

STRIDE - BACK ELBOW/FOREARM ACTION
Make sure they stride or move forward and, at toe touch, have their rear forearm flat/level. Tell them to pull their back elbow back like a bow. This is how how prevent bat drag and will enable them to hit bombs to the outfield. This is the most important thing you can teach them.

BAT DRAG
You will notice that 99% of kids this age have a vertical forearm and bat drag(hands ahead of the back elbow)
The flat forearm will fix most of this. Stress to them they can't let the hands get behind the back elbow at any point in the stride or swing.

TIMING
99% of kids this age will wait until they think the ball is a strike (or is not going to hit them) before they begin the stride. Their swing is dead after that. Make sure they all start moving forward when you release the ball. Their front foot must be down when the ball is halfway there.

Don't give up if they swing too early. Don't kill their stride, or allow them to start later. Fix it. They are probably opening their hips as they stride. They should be closing their hips.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017
What does DBSF stand for?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
DBSF is very commonly seen with younger hitters based around the faulty assumption that a swing should be level to the ground at the elevation of the ball. It is often promoted by coaches giving them the faulty cue "nice level swing". Being primarily arm-powered is typical for this pattern. For those kids that develop a DBSF pattern, it can be very troublesome to reprogram.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812