Talk me out of a pocket radar!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 20, 2017
So last season playing 8u all stars I see a guy walk up to the fence and clock my dd for a few pitches and walk back to the other teams coach and have a POW wow. I remember thinking, What a total DB! Lol but recently her pitching coach pulled out the the gun and I saw how excited she got, she was really trying to throw. And he was able to prove to her that speed came from machanics not from trying to muscle it down there. Recently I saw someone with a pocket radar on the back stop like a GoPro and for some reason I thought that’s awesome... Is this a tool worth having or have I just evolved to total DB status myself?

Nov 8, 2018
So last season playing 8u all stars I see a guy walk up to the fence and clock my dd for a few pitches and walk back to the other teams coach and have a POW wow. I remember thinking, What a total DB! Lol but recently her pitching coach pulled out the the gun and I saw how excited she got, she was really trying to throw. And he was able to prove to her that speed came from machanics not from trying to muscle it down there. Recently I saw someone with a pocket radar on the back stop like a GoPro and for some reason I thought that’s awesome... Is this a tool worth having or have I just evolved to total DB status myself?

I’ll let you know. I just bought one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
How you use it defines if you are a DB or not.
Hubby has one.... I bought it for him so occasionally it’s my fault he’s a DB. Lol

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
Is measuring the speed of the opposing pitcher considered a DB move? I do it and make no bones about it. It's good information. (It's also difficult to stand behind a backstop with a pocket radar and not be seen.)

Do you need one? If your daughter pitches, yes. It's an objective measuring tool and you need to be consistent with your tools when measuring progress. Back to timing the opposition, (softball is such a small world) and when someone tells me 'so and so' pitches 60mph I want to see it on my own device, and it's always less that what I am being told. Feel free to time my daughter, I know what she throws.

Jul 22, 2015
If your dd pitches then you need one (or another radar device). It is the only objective way to measure improvements/regression. No arguing with dd over how fast she is throwing this week vs last week, etc. Also another way to evaluate fatigue/injury at times. If you are hoping to use it to measure other pitchers and help your team, then yes, you might be that DB lol. I've always laughed at the dad who ran back to the coach to tell him a pitcher's speed. What is he going to say? "Girls, use your 58mph swing today."

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
If your dd pitches then you need one (or another radar device). It is the only objective way to measure improvements/regression. No arguing with dd over how fast she is throwing this week vs last week, etc. Also another way to evaluate fatigue/injury at times. If you are hoping to use it to measure other pitchers and help your team, then yes, you might be that DB lol. I've always laughed at the dad who ran back to the coach to tell him a pitcher's speed. What is he going to say? "Girls, use your 58mph swing today."

Agree with this. But I do check other pitchers more to check my visual radar. I like To also see where our pitchers stand against competion. I may share it with my coach but its just fro knowledge. The girls are not making adjustments off of this info....

Sep 20, 2017
How you use it defines if you are a DB or not.
Hubby has one.... I bought it for him so occasionally it’s my fault he’s a DB. Lol

Lol to funny. It’s funny how it work cause I know I want one, but I don’t wanna stand at the fence and look like a dB.. so that means I gotta buy the $400 and casually mount it next the GoPro so I can not look like I care to much... hahaha I just wonder if that money is better invested in that new bat she wants... this softball thing is all about sacrifice. She has definitely shown me she can use a longer bat. Hahaha man looks like I’m to indecisive to take advantage of any Black Friday savings!

May 23, 2015
As an opposing coach you'll get nothing from knowing how fast a pitcher is throwing. I can't see any data that could possibly be used in a positive way. Just a pitcher on improvements with movement and location.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
As an opposing coach you'll get nothing from knowing how fast a pitcher is throwing. I can't see any data that could possibly be used in a positive way. Just a pitcher on improvements with movement and location.

Not the be all end all but if the opposing pitcher is semi-consistent at a certain speed you can set the pitching machine at that speed so that when you face her the players will have faced that speed. Once again all players make adjustments so it may be a mute point. Just an option.

Pocket R

Measure - Train - Improve
Jun 12, 2013
Santa Rosa, CA
Lol to funny. It’s funny how it work cause I know I want one, but I don’t wanna stand at the fence and look like a dB.. so that means I gotta buy the $400 and casually mount it next the GoPro so I can not look like I care to much... hahaha I just wonder if that money is better invested in that new bat she wants... this softball thing is all about sacrifice. She has definitely shown me she can use a longer bat. Hahaha man looks like I’m to indecisive to take advantage of any Black Friday savings!

Just one more thought for you. One of the best uses of a Pocket Radar is to measure ball exit speed for hitting. If you are going to invest in a new bat you want to be sure that it is the right size and weight for her to be able to get the most power on the ball. The speed of the ball as it leaves the bat is the only direct measure of the power of a hit and every 1 MPH extra you can add to exit velocity gives another 4 to 6 feet of carry distance on a line drive. There is an ideal bat size and weight for each athlete's mechanics. We have many coaches that have increased their team on base percentage significantly simply by doing regular bat fittings with the entire team about once a month. The top college coaches have been increasing their home run percentages by working on exit velocity on a regular basis. If you ever have any questions about any Pocket Radar products and how they are used, please give me a call. We are available toll-free at 888.381.2672 weekdays from 9 AM to 5 PM Pacific Time. We are always happy to help. Thanks,
Chris Stewart / President, Pocket Radar Inc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802