Taking the sign

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2017
DD had 3 illegal pitches called on her this weekend. I was at my sons game so I didn't see it. Called for not taking the signal while on the rubber. Both my DD and wife said the umpire was the best they have seen this year. Can you get the call and look at your card and then simulate getting the signal or do you have to be on the rubber now?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
You can get your call whenever - but you must pause and simulate getting a sign (or actually get a sign) while on the rubber. You cannot go straight into the pitch. Basically don't go straight into the pitch - demonstrable pause.

They are emphasizing calling this in NFHS this year for whatever reason.

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
They are emphasizing it because too many umpires let the pitcher take her sign/signal behind or off the rubber and then walk right in to the pitch.

Jan 28, 2017
They are emphasizing it because too many umpires let the pitcher take her sign/signal behind or off the rubber and then walk right in to the pitch.

Yes sir and should be called if walking in. If you get the signal and pause is it ok?

Jan 28, 2017
I wasn't at the game but have never seen my DD quick pitch. She hated getting out of her normal rhythm. Only gave up one run on the day but pictures are hilarious. She is trying to read the card and all twisted up. LOL

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Yes sir and should be called if walking in. If you get the signal and pause is it ok?

Yes. Step on the rubber... pause long enough to get a sign (whether there is one or not) and then pitch.

As inumpire says it is supposed to stop pitchers just stepping on the rubber and pitching - which you can make into basically a walkthrough

The reality, however, is that very few decent pitchers were doing this and those I saw locally who were a little quick were not getting any advantage. It is another imaginary issue that the rules committees decided to address while ignoring umpires not calling all the girls leaping about and getting more airtime than a kangaroo. And of course, they even screwed this up with all this BS about taking signs and so on. If they want the pitcher to pause a second or two before pitching, then just say that instead of 'simulating taking a sign' or 'taking a sign' and making it open to interpretation.

No different than the whole step-back/start-back debacle which solved a problem that literally didn't exist and no one cared about.

May 29, 2015
What level? (I’m assuming college as they are the only ones that made this change.)

I had a college umpire tell me today that they were instructed to call an illegal pitch if the pitcher even looks at her wristband before taking her position on the pitcher’s plate.

Personally, the “taking the sign on the plate” is easier solved by “the pitcher must pause without motion for (insert # here) seconds once she takes her place on the pitcher’s rubber”.

Jan 28, 2017
What level? (I’m assuming college as they are the only ones that made this change.)

I had a college umpire tell me today that they were instructed to call an illegal pitch if the pitcher even looks at her wristband before taking her position on the pitcher’s plate.

Personally, the “taking the sign on the plate” is easier solved by “the pitcher must pause without motion for (insert # here) seconds once she takes her place on the pitcher’s rubber”.

DD played in a PGF at the 14U level. She said the umpire called SEC games. He was very good. DD normally gets the sing off the rubber and the steps on and a small pause. She is one of those kids that looks kinda goofy getting the sign off the card when she isn't on the rubber. Her TB team has weird cards that are hard to read and the opposite from her school team which causes her to take longer than normal to begin with.

Oct 4, 2018
Another (albeit small) reason I like calling pitches in from the catcher.

DD gets on mound, gets sign from catcher. Pitches. No worries about this rule.

May 29, 2015
I've offered that suggestion to coaches whose pitchers are moving to quickly. "Coach, it's not required, but having her take the signal on the plate will fix that problem."

PGF uses NFHS rules (with a few exceptions) which do not require the signal to be taken on the pitcher's plate. (Although, per their website at this moment, they do still require both feet to be in contact with the pitcher's plate.)

Either the umpire mixed it up and he applied NCAA's new rule (possible) or he was calling her for something else. I think you said he specified that though, right?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802