Taking the sign

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
I've offered that suggestion to coaches whose pitchers are moving to quickly. "Coach, it's not required, but having her take the signal on the plate will fix that problem."

The easiest way to solve this is to have the catcher give a second "dummy" signal (any number, use the same one over and over it doesn't matter) AND have the pitcher "nod" yes in agreement (after receiving the signal).

It doesn't add any significant time and everyone is happy. I never have an issue with umpires or hitters once this is instituted. It just looks natural as well....

It sounds odd but pitchers should practice this at lessons and/or at home as a part of their routine...

May 17, 2012
Big T. The rules are clear they need to take the sign on the rubber. Just have her take the signs on the rubber. My dd used to take from behind.

This just isn't true. For anyone reading this please see the other posts for the actual rule interpretation(s).

Nov 8, 2018
This just isn't true. For anyone reading this please see the other posts for the actual rule interpretation(s).

What’s wrong with it. Doesn’t the rule state you have to be in the rubber to take the sign. ? Maybe I’m missing something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 8, 2018

The rule. :

The pitcher is in the pitching position when she has her hands apart, her pivot foot in contact with the pitcher’s plate, both feet on the ground within the 24-inch length of the pitcher’s plate and her hips in line with first and third bases, and the catcher is in position to receive the pitch.

While the pitcher takes the signal, her stride foot may be on or behind the pitcher’s plate as far back as desired. Once the pitcher initially sets the toe of her stride foot, she cannot move it to increase the distance behind the pitcher’s plate. In addition, the pitcher must take or appear to take a signal while in the pitching and signal-taking positions.

Oct 14, 2016
I think I understand the rule, in that, it is to prevent a "walk through" motion by forcing momentum to come to a complete stop once engaged with the rubber. This also allows the batter to get "set" to receive the pitch.

I teach my pitchers to, once the pivot foot is on the rubber, look at her catcher and take a deep breath, then bring the hands together. This has become part of her calming ritual that helps her focus on the pitch she is about to throw. And Yes, my pitchers get their signs off the pitcher's plate.

Umpires here in SWLA will be enforcing this "pause" rule more this season.

Another obscure rule they will be enforcing (NFHS) is the number of offensive players outside the dugout during the 1 minute between innings. We used to have out next four batters take swings while the opposing pitcher did her warm-up pitches. Can't do that anymore.

Nov 8, 2018
I think I understand the rule, in that, it is to prevent a "walk through" motion by forcing momentum to come to a complete stop once engaged with the rubber. This also allows the batter to get "set" to receive the pitch.

I teach my pitchers to, once the pivot foot is on the rubber, look at her catcher and take a deep breath, then bring the hands together. This has become part of her calming ritual that helps her focus on the pitch she is about to throw. And Yes, my pitchers get their signs off the pitcher's plate.

Umpires here in SWLA will be enforcing this "pause" rule more this season.

Another obscure rule they will be enforcing (NFHS) is the number of offensive players outside the dugout during the 1 minute between innings. We used to have out next four batters take swings while the opposing pitcher did her warm-up pitches. Can't do that anymore.

The NCAA actually explains the rule prior to giving the rule. And you are correct. It is to stop walk through pitches. And to give the batter time to be set.
Didn’t know about the batting part. Great to know. Thank you.

May 17, 2012
What’s wrong with it. Doesn’t the rule state you have to be in the rubber to take the sign. ? Maybe I’m missing something.

There is no rule that prevents the coach from giving the sign when the pitcher is off the mound.

You need to "appear to take" a sign from the catcher. While they may need to TAKE a sign it doesn't have to be the actual sign.

Please understand the distinction.

Again this isn't really any different that what's currently being done at the highest levels already.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018
There is no rule that prevents the coach from giving the sign when the pitcher is off the mound.

You need to "appear to take" a sign from the catcher. While they may need to TAKE a sign it doesn't have to be the actual sign.

Please understand the distinction.

Again this isn't really any different that what's currently being done at the highest levels already.

I agree. Appear and getting are the same. But to say flat out that I was wrong was a little disingenuous.
But if that coach calls out a pitch and she looks at a wrist band not on the mound it will be called.

My point was it’s the rule and if you want to work around the rule it’s done at your own peril.

Jul 14, 2018
DD usually takes the sign behind the rubber and then steps up and starts her delivery. It seems easy enough to have her stand on the rubber and get the call, and check her wristband before bringing the hands together and starting her motion.

Is there a downside to this? It's not like baseball where the runners could take off while the pitcher is looking at their wrist. Is there a danger of an illegal pitch if the pitcher, while on the rubber, looks at her wristband, brings the hands together, and then separates to take another look before delivering the pitch (I could see DD doing this)?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802