Taking the sign

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2017
I've offered that suggestion to coaches whose pitchers are moving to quickly. "Coach, it's not required, but having her take the signal on the plate will fix that problem."

PGF uses NFHS rules (with a few exceptions) which do not require the signal to be taken on the pitcher's plate. (Although, per their website at this moment, they do still require both feet to be in contact with the pitcher's plate.)

Either the umpire mixed it up and he applied NCAA's new rule (possible) or he was calling her for something else. I think you said he specified that though, right?

I wasn't at the game but according to everyone yes and once she started getting on the rubber and taking the signal she didn't get called for an illegal pitch.

Jan 28, 2017
DD is still in MS. I had two local HS coaches call and ask me about Florida HS rules. Florida HS use NFHS rules but have not changed the two feet in contact with the rubber. Which I think contradicts itself. I haven't worried about it since my DD is in MS and we still only work with both feet on the rubber. Was a HS athletic director for 17 years but not anymore but they still call me. LOL

Jan 28, 2017
I remember a few years ago our coach was yelling 222 and the other coach was yelling 222. The batter didn't bunt and the defense ran the wrong bunt coverage. The coach from the dugout was getting onto his players for running the wrong bunt coverage and the 3rd base coach - Why didn't you bunt? I got it mixed up with the other teams numbers. The numbers where the same.

May 29, 2015
DD is still in MS. I had two local HS coaches call and ask me about Florida HS rules. Florida HS use NFHS rules but have not changed the two feet in contact with the rubber. Which I think contradicts itself. I haven't worried about it since my DD is in MS and we still only work with both feet on the rubber. Was a HS athletic director for 17 years but not anymore but they still call me. LOL

I forgot somebody (you?) mentioned their state (FL?) was not accepting the adoption of the new NFHS rule.

Jan 28, 2017
I forgot somebody (you?) mentioned their state (FL?) was not accepting the adoption of the new NFHS rule.

In our area everyone is confused. Some pitching in contact with both feet. Some not. FHSAA says the use NFHS rules but when you call they say you must have both feet in contact. A lot of coaches switched their girls and now are scrambling

May 29, 2015
Not a pitching coach, so my opinion is worth ... ehhh ... Anyway, I’ve said it before:

Why would a coach change what an established pitcher was doing based on this rule?! It’s not a “you must”, it’s a “you may”.

Jan 28, 2017
Not a pitching coach, so my opinion is worth ... ehhh ... Anyway, I’ve said it before:

Why would a coach change what an established pitcher was doing based on this rule?! It’s not a “you must”, it’s a “you may”.

No idea. With all the different rules it is easier to keep doing what we have been IMO.

Nov 8, 2018
Big T. The rules are clear they need to take the sign on the rubber. Just have her take the signs on the rubber. My dd used to take from behind. Then pause , then pitch. Even with today’s rules it very well may be ok. But the day it’s not will mess her up.
So we are taking the signs with foot on the rubber. Avoiding g any issues.

Also we are not stepping g back which is aloud. Why? Because it’s not allied in college. You never know and why have to change when what you already do is working.
My 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee