Taking DD to college campuses just so they could look around?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 22, 2019
Rural northeast
How many parents have driven to college campuses just so their daughter could decided whether they want to pursue clinics and begin the email contacts, or cross the school off their list? Not any type of official visit, or Office of Admissions tour.

Mar 8, 2016
We did that when dd was in 8th and 9th grade. It was amazing how fast she could randomly (to me) say she liked or didn't like a school within 5 minutes. I like to say I had trouble figuring out the mind of a 16 year old girl 35 years ago when I was trying to get a date and apparentlyI have not made any progress in almost 4 decades.
DD found her dream school from a visit like this when she was at a camp for another school 30 minutes away. After that campus walk around she never wanted to go to another school. She is sure of her choice and the coaches really wanted her. I just hope she chose well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
I like to say I had trouble figuring out the mind of a 16 year old girl 35 years ago when I was trying to get a date and apparentlyI have not made any progress in almost 4 decades.
Losing proposition, here are a few more tractable problem to solve:

Apr 28, 2019
How many parents have driven to college campuses just so their daughter could decided whether they want to pursue clinics and begin the email contacts, or cross the school off their list? Not any type of official visit, or Office of Admissions tour.
We’ve done this and DD somehow knew right away if she liked the school or not. Not sure how that’s possible but I guess first impressions are important.

Jun 7, 2016
We brought DD2 to most of the college visits of DD1. Additionally, we went to college SB games in our area (more or less targeting schools the might be a good fit) then did walkabouts.
At one, she was still in uniform from a HS scrimmage, and a college player came over (well after the game in another area on campus) and introduced herself and gave us about 10 mins of Q & A. Impressed all of us and school is still on list.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
We always told DD to choose a school that she wanted to go to even if softball wasn't involved. After changing her mind several times on her college major between Junior and Senior year of HS, we found several schools that offered her new desired major. We took a drive and the first one we went to, she fell in love with. We did visit the others but she had little interest in them. Now she is attending and playing for her dream school as we post.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2014
First campus DD visited she fell in love with. Over the next 4 years she visited 12-13 other campuses and still had her heart set on that first school. Last October she commited to that "dream school".

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
We visited a dozen or more campuses over the years. Some with @corlay method. Some on our own for schools DD was looking at. In many cases a 30 minute walk around campus was enough for her. Some we did just for fun. Ultimately the school she chose was one she loved after the first visit.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom