Take sign on 1-1 count?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Gosh, I never knew that people were sitting in the stands trying to figure out why I was giving signs at a certain time. I might be thinking that a rise ball is coming and I want her to lay off of it.

Someone may have ran to the port a potty and we need a little time.

I am certain that I have made calls that looked odd to people that aren't coaching the team. I suggest that they get a team of their own and experience it themselves. It is a lot easier from the bleachers.

Yes, I give the take sign. And I don't want a batter ignoring my signs.

Maybe the coach just wants the pitchers to throw a lot of pitches.

I remember in LL, there used to be a sign for the batter to take a big old round house swing and miss the ball (to allow a steal), the parents would go nuts.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
Nice post, Amy. If the batter were free to ignore the coaches signs, then why give them? The OP said this was 10U - I think most 10 U players need a little more experience before they start questioning the coach. It's fortunate she had a good result. It's our nature - and part of the fun - to try to figure out why a coach called something, but it's the coaches job. Our coach is always more than willing to explain why she asked for something in a given situation. The answer may very well be - I goofed, but she always takes responsibility for it.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
What is a Gold AS?

I think AS = All-Stars

Regarding the original post, I think it sets a bad precedent for the team when your batter totally disregards the sign. What happens next time that same batter is up to bat, is she going to "shake-off" the coaches bunt sign and swing away because she thinks she knows better? Coaches have their reasons for doing things a certain way. The coach has now lost all confidence in this batter that she will follow his/her signs. If she was my player, I would have her riding the bench one game to send a message to all batters. Team discipline is more important for future games than a double in one game IMO.

Jun 7, 2010
the fact of the matter is the coach gave a sign and the player did not follow instructions. we can ask all day why he gave the sign. he gave a sign and she did not follow instructions. i don't mean to sound rude with that but if i give a sign and my player does something else it tells me she thinks she know better than I.
I HEAR DADS AND MOMS SAY TO THE KIDS ALL THE TIME. " think for yourself and make the play" just after they have boched instructions from a coach. coaches are responsible for the play calling or pitch taking or whatever else they choose to do with their team. you can do more with a kid that follows simple understood instructions than a kid that makes their own decision on things... it's happened to me many times and sometimes it works for the team and sometimes it don't. at the end of the day i will remember who follows my lead as head coach.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
Most kids will miss a sign here or there. My DDs coach will ask/tell her about it, but understands ocassional misunderstandings. I think what disturbs me about the original question is that the player knew what she was supposed to do, but deliberately didn't do it. Lame or not, the coach obviously had a purpose for asking her to take the pitch. As the girls get older DDs coach gives kids a little more leeway i.e. if given the swing away sign and my DD sees the corners are back, she may lay down a drag bunt - with the coaches permission. If she's asked to slap and the 2nd baseman cheats, she can power slap - again this has been discussed with her coach. She's 13 and it's part of her development as a player, but she had to earn the flexibility. But there are certain situations and games where it's crucial she follow the coaches directions exactly. She and the coach discuss this ahead of time so they are on the same page. At 10 yo the OP DD may have gotten excited and may not have meant to ignore the coaches instruction, just got caught up in the moment.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
On any team I've played for or coached, there was punishment for missing a sign or ignoring it intentionally. The biggest one is the take sign. After a couple of laps around the field, the girl listened next time. :)

With 10U, I told them that if they ignored a take sign they'd be in big trouble. One little one asked what if she was to hit a homerun. I told her that she would still be running at the next practice. They've got to learn sometime.

Jun 22, 2010
Not that this would necessarily apply to the OP's situation, but is it possible the coach would test the player's compliance? IOW, a given player might be having issues with following instructions, so the coach picks a situation where a seemingly "wrong" sign wouldn't cause too much damage - for example, "take" on 1-1. He flashes that sign just to see if the player will do what she's told. Not saying that's what happened here, but could anyone see that as a possibility?

May 25, 2010
Btwn innings, Head Coach lays into her for missing sign.

Was that an appropriate response to her error, regardless of 'why' it happened? At 10u, I don't think it was. Truthfully, though, until they're playing for money, I don't think coaches should ever lambaste their own players in-game.

I know that many coaches feel the need to justify their god complexes, but that's not how mistakes, outright defiance, OR merely going with one's trained instincts should be handled at 10u.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee