Tagging a Force Out question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2014
Hang on a second, I have to put my a-hole face on for a moment (and then I will by you a beer to show it’s not personal).

Wow. Did you really just say that!? In a public place!? With a straight face!?

“It’s not about you blue! Except this time. I’m doing this for your own benefit and personal growth.”
Yep he really said that. Stop a 8u game for 15 minutes and protest because he WANTS THE UMPIRE TO LEARN THE RULE. Wow.

Apr 20, 2015
We're on our second round of 8u with a completely new crop of children umpires and my biggest beef is not with them but is that no one is helping them learn. Many of them have very little knowledge of the rules and the league does nothing to help them. We have ask the uic to require 8u coaches to help umpire games they aren't coaching and guide these new umpires but they do nothing. My father in law is an experienced varsity umpire and tried to talk to a kid about being audible and confident and was blown off. I would love for coaches to umpire 8u and kids to do 10s where they could learn more have a partner

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

May 28, 2019
For all the high horse bickering... this was an all star tournament that the whole team and families drove 3 hours and stayed in a hotel for multiple nights. This was the big shin dig for the girls who worked very hard to get to that Point. It was umped by a younger dude and his girlfriend who I’m pretty sure the movie birdcage was based off of. The 15 minute “protest” were for them to making whatever phone calls they wanted to do to try to get their head out of their butt. It didn’t work and the ump showed up next day w a. Huge axe to grind.

May 28, 2019
Multiple night hotel stays for 8U "All Star" games? Am I the only one that thinks this is absolutely insane? o_O

man, i don't know what kind of parks and systems you came from but geesh. if all those girls did was 8u rec play, it'd be a joke and there's hardly any development at that level. You may have 2 kids a team that can make a throw and catch. Assemble an allstar team and you can actually play the game with these girls.

May 29, 2019
man, i don't know what kind of parks and systems you came from but geesh. if all those girls did was 8u rec play, it'd be a joke and there's hardly any development at that level. You may have 2 kids a team that can make a throw and catch. Assemble an allstar team and you can actually play the game with these girls.
I guess people have different expectations of what 8U softball is, based off of their own experiences. For us, our community had two or three league teams, and we played teams from the surrounding communities who did the same thing. At the end of the season, we put an "all star" (I use that term loosely) team together and played in a tournament a couple of towns away. There were, maybe, eight teams. We played a Friday evening game, a couple of Saturday games, and the championship game on Sunday. That was it...One season end tournament. After that, the girls when back to playing with dolls and swimming the rest of the summer.

If our rec director would have said that we were putting an 8U "All Star" team together to travel hours away and stay in hotels, I would have laughed at him. I do not see the point at that age. The idea of 8U travel teams is ridiculous too. Save the money for when it matters.

May 28, 2019
Granted it was coach pitch but it was pretty competitive play. We had a pretty decent team and they had even better teams out there they we competed against. Overall, it was a great experience to jumpstart the level of play they we were aiming for and lots of friendships were made and eventually we left rec and formed our own team. A majority of the hotel costs were paid back to us by the quick fundraising we did prior to that. Most importantly, it was fun for the girls and they got to hangout at the hotel a lot and spend time w eachother.

Oct 4, 2018
Multiple night hotel stays for 8U "All Star" games? Am I the only one that thinks this is absolutely insane? o_O

We have a blast in 8U All Stars. It was when the core of our current Travel Team was formed and when they got the passion for the game.

We didn't stay in hotels, but man -- the girls would have absolutely loved it if we did. And it's supposed to be all for them, right?

May 20, 2018
protested an 8u game? No wonder you have bad umpires, no good ones want to ump a 8u game that people take so seriously they will hold the game up for 15 minutes to protest. Sorry to say but ultimately, your team and those like it are the ones to blame for your poor umpires. It's a snowball effect. 8u teams complain all game long, Umpires get worse, 8u teams complain more, umpires get even harder to find..... and the cycle repeats itself over and over and over. Stop protesting and complaining about calls and watch the quality of your umpires go up.

I believe that umpires get better by working 2 man games. The senior umpire can make corrections concerning field position, timing of calls, and all sorts of helpful tips. Any newbie umping 8U who's getting yelled at and protested is more likely to leave umpiring than to learn and grow from it

This. Our rec league recruited a bunch of HS players for our local USA ump coordinator as the shortage around here was getting to be a bit crazy and was impacting our games, especially during HS season. None of these kids came back the next season. 16 year old girls getting yelled at by grown men over a ball/strike call! A 15 yo boy had a coach from another town poking him in the chest over a call in a 10U rec game. His dad was at the game and had to step in. The pay is great and these kids love the game and were enthusiastic about it when they signed up but after umping only a few games each, they would rather bag groceries for minimum wage than deal with the crazy adults (coaches and parents).

Umpires for 8U coach pitch? How does that work? Does the coach pitch to his/her own team? Do they call balls and strikes or are they just making calls on the bases?

May 24, 2013
So Cal

Nope. Not insane. This is standard operating procedure in So Cal rec all-stars. The all-star tournament season usually includes at least one of these trips. They're a ton of fun for the girls - and sometimes the parents, too. If the team qualifies for States, it usually means a second hotel-stay tournament (depending on where you live). For us, 8U all-stars was a time that had a big impact on my DD's path in the game, and she has a lot of great memories from that time with that team.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28