Tag 'em low

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
This is one of those little things that can make a huge difference in a game. It's the sort of thing every fielder should know, but many either don't know it or forget about it.

When you're making a tag, always try to apply it low, down near the feet. You're far more likely to get the call. From an umpire's point of view, a high tag (around the head or shoulders of a sliding baserunner) often implies that the runner slid under the tag. Now, that may not be true -- the player may have applied the tag before the runner reached base -- but it doesn't matter. That's what the umpire will see.

If you apply the tag around the feet or ankles, however, the appearance is you got the runner before she got to the bag, and she's out.

Wherever possible, apply a low tag. And don't forget to sell it at the end. Hold the ball and glove up high, show it to the umpire to say "see, I got her!"

More...

Jun 26, 2008
Vermont
So true. But I would stress even more showing the glove to the umpire and acting as if you are 100% sure the runner is out. I've always taught this, and about 10 years ago in an All Star game a runner tried to steal 2B with 2 outs. The throw seemed obviously late, but my son slapped the tag down anyway and brought his glove up to show the umpire as he bounced away from the bag hesitating in a motion toward our 3B dugout. The umpire hesitated too, looked at the glove, then pumped his arm to call the runner out.
As my son came into the dugout he looked at me and said under his breath "Never has anyone so safe been called out ... thanks Dad!" :~)

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Good point

So true. But I would stress even more showing the glove to the umpire and acting as if you are 100% sure the runner is out. I've always taught this, and about 10 years ago in an All Star game a runner tried to steal 2B with 2 outs. The throw seemed obviously late, but my son slapped the tag down anyway and brought his glove up to show the umpire as he bounced away from the bag hesitating in a motion toward our 3B dugout. The umpire hesitated too, looked at the glove, then pumped his arm to call the runner out.
As my son came into the dugout he looked at me and said under his breath "Never has anyone so safe been called out ... thanks Dad!" :~)

Thanks for adding that comment. We've been emphasizing the same thing with our players. Sell the tag and more often than not you'll get the call. Make the umpire believe you know you got the tag, and you're just making sure he/she knows you still have the ball.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee