Tactics for pitching in the HEAT

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 7, 2011
I searched a bit but couldn't find anything super-good.

So upper-midwest-pitcher-DD is heading down south. Coming from what I would only consider as "Global-Cooling" for the last year here to what appears to be mid-90's down south for this coming weekend.

What can you offer as the best pre & mid & post game things to do to keep pitchers at their top performance in HEAT?

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
-Start drinking water now, lay off the soda and other caffeinated drinks.
-Keep drinking mostly water during the games between innings supplemented with some gatorade or other electrolyte replenishers between games.
-Keep some small towels in ice water and use these on the bench to wipe down arms, and neck area. Keep one around her neck while she is on the bench when her team is on offense.
-If possible, use a DP or DH to hit for her. If she is pitching in the heat, that's enough work without having to worry about batting and running the bases.
-If possible, between games get her into an air conditioned room or car to allow her body to cool down.
-Performing in the heat is somewhat mental as well. Try not to think about how hot it is and concentrate on pitching. Much easier said than done, I realize.
-Don't eat heavy meals between games like greasy burgers or pizza. Fresh fruits, grapes, apples, etc. Lean meat sandwiches, turkey or chicken

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Between games, putting her feet in ice water is supposed to help. And as long as we are on feet, check her cleats. Make certain that they aren't weak and wore out. Look at the insole and make certain, it is cushiony.

Check her socks. Are they worn out? Our ball diamonds are SO hot here, that I have become a sock fanatic. I have finally found great socks at an outdoor sportsman warehouse. If she has to wear the team socks, buy sanitary socks to wear under them (at the afore mentioned place.)

Tell her that mentioning the heat is a no no. I don't want to hear it. The other team is hotter than we are (or so I tell the girls.) There is a difference between being hot and being sick. I do want to know if they are sick.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Between games, putting her feet in ice water is supposed to help. And as long as we are on feet, check her cleats. Make certain that they aren't weak and wore out. Look at the insole and make certain, it is cushiony.

Check her socks. Are they worn out? Our ball diamonds are SO hot here, that I have become a sock fanatic. I have finally found great socks at an outdoor sportsman warehouse. If she has to wear the team socks, buy sanitary socks to wear under them (at the afore mentioned place.)

Tell her that mentioning the heat is a no no. I don't want to hear it. The other team is hotter than we are (or so I tell the girls.) There is a difference between being hot and being sick. I do want to know if they are sick.

Amy heading your way for 18A Westerns... and coming from Oregon, this is a topic I will be watching

Oct 19, 2009
Other than what has been mentioned, keep some of the Frogg Toggs in her bat bag and have kept a couple industrial fans in the car, which many parks have plugins. Cool off in the car between games with water and light snack.

We always pitched in the heat of the day, to get used to the heat before hand.

Not recommending this at all, but race car driver Donnie Allison was reported to have driven his personal car in the hot Alabama days with the windows rolled up and the heater on to get used to race conditions, the better prepared for the heat the better it will be for the kids.

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
-Start drinking water now, lay off the soda and other caffeinated drinks.
-Keep drinking mostly water during the games between innings supplemented with some gatorade or other electrolyte replenishers between games.
-Keep some small towels in ice water and use these on the bench to wipe down arms, and neck area. Keep one around her neck while she is on the bench when her team is on offense.
-If possible, use a DP or DH to hit for her. If she is pitching in the heat, that's enough work without having to worry about batting and running the bases.
-If possible, between games get her into an air conditioned room or car to allow her body to cool down.
-Performing in the heat is somewhat mental as well. Try not to think about how hot it is and concentrate on pitching. Much easier said than done, I realize.
-Don't eat heavy meals between games like greasy burgers or pizza. Fresh fruits, grapes, apples, etc. Lean meat sandwiches, turkey or chicken

This is all you need to do if you live in a hot region. If not, acclimate 2-3 weeks prior using methods others described above. That's it.

Mar 28, 2013
State championships this weekend, forecast 105. We keep a cooler full of Ice water and we keep it stuffed full of medium towels and the players drape them around the back of their necks while in the dugout. Hydrate like a camel starting days before the tourney. Don't think jumping in and out of air conditioning during a game is a good Idea because I makes the heat seem worse. between games ac is ok. Never tried this but watched a very hot AZ game and they had a tall bucket of Ice water on the bench and they had Escobedo sit next to it with her entire glove arm buried up to her shoulder in the ice water to drop her core temp. maybe this weekend we will give that a try. Just as a cautionary note last year my older DD was pitching asa JO championship game in a Cali heat wave 117% god only knows how hot it was on a red dirt infield and during the game by the fourth inning you could actually see her mannerisms start to change. after that inning I asked her how it felt out there and she replied that she did not remember it! she was pitching lights out while in heat stroke. so watch your pitchers and catchers close and if they start acting unusual take it very seriously even if they are still performing well. Good Luck.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
I forgot to mention something. Ask PU during plate meeting if he'll call time to allow a quick drink for pitchers and catchers during a long inning. Many do here in southern AZ and no TO is charged to the team. They regard as a safety issue.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
Our umpires here will do that for the pitchers/catchers. My DD is a catcher and our coaching staff will use a time out to get them water too...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood