Switch hitting help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
And conversely it doesn't make sense because you say it doesn't?

Lighten up, Francis.
I gave you reasons why it is of little to no advantage in softball. What are your reasons for it being advantageous in softball?

Feb 25, 2018
It has been advantageous in my daughter's softball development. Again, I don't have a time machine to re-do the last several years to see what would happen if she would only hit from the right side; I'm ok with not having definitive causation evidence to present you.

Based on her in-game performance and her HitTrax numbers, I'm supportive of her wanting to be a switch hitter.

Jun 8, 2016
It has been advantageous in my daughter's softball development. Again, I don't have a time machine to re-do the last several years to see what would happen if she would only hit from the right side; I'm ok with not having definitive causation evidence to present you.

Based on her in-game performance and her HitTrax numbers, I'm supportive of her wanting to be a switch hitter.
My point is if she hits almost as well from the LH side at this point there is no reason to keep hitting RH as there IS an advantage to being a LH hitter all things being (almost) equal. That is why it is a good idea for this young hitter to try and see if she can hit LH. If she shows any sort of competence at a point in the near future she should just switch to the LH side. I wouldn't say the same thing if she was a natural LH hitter.

Edit: from one of your earlier posts, it sounds like her HC is trending towards my way of thinking..

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018
I would contend that the process of learning how to hit from both sides could be an asset for some athletes; removing the right side component, could be detrimental. Just a theory, but learning is a complicated task.
Not everyone learns the same.

Jun 8, 2016
I would contend that the process of learning how to hit from both sides could be an asset for some athletes; removing the right side component, could be detrimental. Just a theory, but learning is a complicated task.
Not everyone learns the same.
Ok fair enough I suppose that could be a possibility but at some point pick the LH side if the kid can hit from that side...
What I am seeing with the OP's kid, or at least what I think he should be doing (outside of just letting her have fun with it) , is trying to see if she can hit from the LH side versus making the kid a switch hitter for the rest of her life...

Last edited:

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Did anyone see #28, the 10 year old, slap hit to the 225' fence in each gap at 1:33:17 and 2:12:42 ? Amazing weapon that slapping stuff.

- 10U Premier Championships

Dec 21, 2012
If she is comfortable hitting from the left side that's what I would concentrate on, especially if she is a fast runner.

Mar 26, 2016
My daughter was a switch hitter for a number of years, the advice given to us was have her eyes checked and which ever is the dominate eye have her stay on that side. which we did, it has worked out well for her. There were some struggles at first.

One piece of advice I will give I seen this happen, (not with my daughter) a coach will have a kid that can slap and hit from the right try to have her bunt from the left her get 2 strikes then move her back over to the right. Don't let a coach try that mess, if you play for a person who does be an advcoate for your daughter and let them know to just keep her at the side she started the at bat on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802