Switch hitting help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
IMHO a distinct advantage in hitting LH. Bunting, slapping, even straight up batting your already have a step towards 1B. The best lefty slap hitter I have seen could place pitches between OF and IF yet make the IF play in for the bunt.

One other thing. Most people are right eye dominant which means that if they bat lefty their right eye is closer to the pitcher and they get a true view of the plane of the pitch quicker than righties. In most older kids it doesn't matter because they have batted righty for years, but in younger kids there is a chance. Try it out you never know.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
I absolutely love slapping. Here are three different slappers batting 1-2-3 in a game. Times are 04:30; 45:40; 58.25: 1:31:17 & 2:08 on this Youtube. - 10U Premier Championships

Feb 25, 2018
The level of expertise in this group is astounding. We are pretty simple and just starting out on our journey, so looking for some advice. Took our daughter outside to hit some balls yesterday and she wanted to turn around and hit left, so she did. She has never done this or shown any interest before. Swing looks pretty good! She made contact with about 1/3 of them and looked comfortable with her stance. I can help her minimally with training, but am looking for suggestions as to how to foster this along and advance her swing from the left side.

For background, she is 9 and has played some form of little league since she was 5. She is highly coachable but is often hard on herself, so we haven't pushed for travel ball yet. Maybe this question could be answered there with more professional coaching? Not sure. But while we are quarantined and the weather is decent I thought we could work on it.

Howdy. My DD is 14, she also asked to give lefty a try when she started playing a couple years ago. Personally, I think switch-hitting is an under-utilized skill in softball. My daughter can legit hit from both sides of the plate.
This past fall ball she finally took a lot more at bats from the left side. Coach and athlete have to embrace the failure/bumps from the non-dominant side.

Her lefty stance is a bit more open than her righty stance as her left eye is the dominant one.

Has been working online with Rachel Folden, a coach I heartily recommend.

Jun 8, 2016
Howdy. My DD is 14, she also asked to give lefty a try when she started playing a couple years ago. Personally, I think switch-hitting is an under-utilized skill in softball. My daughter can legit hit from both sides of the plate.
This past fall ball she finally took a lot more at bats from the left side. Coach and athlete have to embrace the failure/bumps from the non-dominant side.

Her lefty stance is a bit more open than her righty stance as her left eye is the dominant one.

Does she slap from the LH and if not how does she decide what side she hits on? I can see if a kid hits with a lot more power from the RH and slaps from LH side where it could be advantageous.

Feb 25, 2018
She can slap and hit from the left side, but the majority of her at bats from the left side are straight hitting. Has sneaky speed, 2.9 htf,
but not slapper speed. Interestingly, her 40 time is faster than 5.8, usually around 5.5-5.6
(not FAT)

Decision-wise, has been situational for the most part. Fall ball the coach let her take entire games from the left side.

Mar 28, 2020
IMHO a distinct advantage in hitting LH. Bunting, slapping, even straight up batting your already have a step towards 1B. The best lefty slap hitter I have seen could place pitches between OF and IF yet make the IF play in for the bunt.

One other thing. Most people are right eye dominant which means that if they bat lefty their right eye is closer to the pitcher and they get a true view of the plane of the pitch quicker than righties. In most older kids it doesn't matter because they have batted righty for years, but in younger kids there is a chance. Try it out you never know.

Interesting... I would have not thought of right eye dominance, but it makes sense. This is great! It's raining out today, but am looking forward to getting her outside again.

Mar 28, 2020

Great, thanks for the tip! Will look into Rachel Folden.

Mar 28, 2020
Thanks for all the input so far. Looking forward to reviewing videos and doing some research tonight. I hear a lot about the advantages of slap hitting as a reason to bat lefty, but my daughter is a slugger. I don't know what her htf speed is, but she is more in the category of needing the extra step toward first... lol. She's 9 so she's growing and we'll let that work itself out. But if slap hitting is the main reason to go lefty, we may just be in the "watch my cool trick" zone. Hopefully can get her out soon when the weather is nice for some video footage. Maybe we can build a basement batting area during these long days.