Switch hitter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2012
DD switched to lefty batting just after 12U. She throws lefty but always batted righty and was more of a contact hitter. Since switched to full lefty she has developed so much.
We consulted a few pitching coaches and all of them agreed that if we were going to make the switch we needed to go full lefty and not go back and forth. It took about 8 months to get everything to click but she’s leaps and bounds the better hitter from the left.

May 29, 2019
Interesting. How old is your daughter?
My daughter has good power from the right side so I don’t think she will switch sides like your daughter. She has average speed so just another wrinkle to add to be more versatile I guess.
Average speed = No Bueno for bunting and slapping. The kids got to be a burner to make it work.

Decide which side she hits better from, and stick with it. Now with that being said, if she is a natural righty, don't just assume that is what side she will hit better from. My oldest DD was a natural righty, but she was fast so we turned her around to be a slapper. We soon found out that she hit away better from the left side as well. And the rest is history...

Apr 28, 2019
Average speed = No Bueno for bunting and slapping. The kids got to be a burner to make it work.

Decide which side she hits better from, and stick with it. Now with that being said, if she is a natural righty, don't just assume that is what side she will hit better from. My oldest DD was a natural righty, but she was fast so we turned her around to be a slapper. We soon found out that she hit away better from the left side as well. And the rest is history...
I’m thinking maybe just drag bunts and situational lefty possibly if she really wants to put the time in.

May 29, 2019
I’m thinking maybe just drag bunts and situational lefty possibly if she really wants to put the time in.
I am a very big proponent of hitting from the left side in softball. I would suggest giving it an honest try, really work at it and give it chance. If she can learn to hit from the left side, then switch and never look back. But if its a situation where she, say, hits .200 from the left side and .350 from the right, then don't even bother at all. Don't swap back and forth. And remember, you still need to be FAST to drag bunt. But, if she is fast but can't get the left side down, you can still be sneaky and effective push bunting from the right side.

Apr 28, 2019
I am a very big proponent of hitting from the left side in softball. I would suggest giving it an honest try, really work at it and give it chance. If she can learn to hit from the left side, then switch and never look back. But if its a situation where she, say, hits .200 from the left side and .350 from the right, then don't even bother at all. Don't swap back and forth. And remember, you still need to be FAST to drag bunt. But, if she is fast but can't get the left side down, you can still be sneaky and effective push bunting from the right side.
I’m a natural lefty and quite honestly wish one of my girls were a southpaw. They are both right handed. If she gets a two step advantage while moving forward bunting lefty may be worth a look. I had good speed not great speed. I used to drag bunt early in games to boost my confidence and put pressure on the defense. If you take the ball down the line with you and execute a good bunt you don’t really have to be a burner. It doesn’t hurt for sure but if you catch the defense napping you can get on base.
Like I mentioned earlier not my idea to switch sides. She has above average power from the right side. Just looking for a little more consistency. She is very solid with lower half during swing just drops her hands occasionally and pulls off the ball too early sometimes.
She has recently started weight training for volleyball and will start yoga soon so I expect her to gain speed gradually over the next few months.
I think it will just be a training wrinkle to break things up and have some fun. She is a P & MI so I’m not really looking for anything extra to practice on. Maybe try it in HS game if game has already been decided.
I’m not really a slapper fan. It has it’s place IMO but not a must have.

May 29, 2019
I’m a natural lefty and quite honestly wish one of my girls were a southpaw. They are both right handed. If she gets a two step advantage while moving forward bunting lefty may be worth a look. I had good speed not great speed. I used to drag bunt early in games to boost my confidence and put pressure on the defense. If you take the ball down the line with you and execute a good bunt you don’t really have to be a burner. It doesn’t hurt for sure but if you catch the defense napping you can get on base.
Like I mentioned earlier not my idea to switch sides. She has above average power from the right side. Just looking for a little more consistency. She is very solid with lower half during swing just drops her hands occasionally and pulls off the ball too early sometimes.
She has recently started weight training for volleyball and will start yoga soon so I expect her to gain speed gradually over the next few months.
I think it will just be a training wrinkle to break things up and have some fun. She is a P & MI so I’m not really looking for anything extra to practice on. Maybe try it in HS game if game has already been decided.
I’m not really a slapper fan. It has it’s place IMO but not a must have.
Absolutely, try everything and if it works, go for it. Part of the fun (and frustration) is trying new things to incorporate into your daughters game. Being a pitcher, most of your practice time will already be spoken for though. So glad my DD stopped pitching in 12U :ROFLMAO:

As far as bunting goes, there is a righty on my DD's travel team that executes an amazing push bunt. Basically, she "squares" really late into almost a sprinters stance, and pushes the ball right towards the 3-4 hole as she is already starting to move. It looks exactly like something you would expect a slapper to do. Being righty that looks to have good power, it always catches the defense off guard. It's beautiful when she executes it.

Lastly, I disagree about slappers. A good slapper that can also hit away is the most potent offensive threat in softball. However, most coaches don't know how to properly utilize their strengths in the line up.

Apr 28, 2019
Absolutely, try everything and if it works, go for it. Part of the fun (and frustration) is trying new things to incorporate into your daughters game. Being a pitcher, most of your practice time will already be spoken for though. So glad my DD stopped pitching in 12U :ROFLMAO:

As far as bunting goes, there is a righty on my DD's travel team that executes an amazing push bunt. Basically, she "squares" really late into almost a sprinters stance, and pushes the ball right towards the 3-4 hole as she is already starting to move. It looks exactly like something you would expect a slapper to do. Being righty that looks to have good power, it always catches the defense off guard. It's beautiful when she executes it.

Lastly, I disagree about slappers. A good slapper that can also hit away is the most potent offensive threat in softball. However, most coaches don't know how to properly utilize their strengths in the line up.
How many slappers do you see with power? I honestly don’t know. One slapper that comes to mind is the one at Alabama. I didn’t see her have much success in tournament when I caught their games.
I couldn’t agree more my daughter should be spending much more time on pitching.
She is relying too much on her athletic ability. At best she throws twice a week. At 5’2” and 130 she hits 58 MPH. Which is not bad for her size and age. I expect low 60’s in the Spring for her Freshman HS season.
I’m all for bunting when your facing an elite pitcher that is mowing down your hitters. Give the hitters a chance 1st time through and then pick your spots and lay them down.

Jun 8, 2016
That is how we were taught how to bunt for a basehit as a RH in baseball. You almost never see that in softball. You must be young, as you hardly see anybody do that anymore, or watched/played very little baseball in the 80's.

Last edited:
May 29, 2019
How many slappers do you see with power? I honestly don’t know. One slapper that comes to mind is the one at Alabama. I didn’t see her have much success in tournament when I caught their games.
I couldn’t agree more my daughter should be spending much more time on pitching.
She is relying too much on her athletic ability. At best she throws twice a week. At 5’2” and 130 she hits 58 MPH. Which is not bad for her size and age. I expect low 60’s in the Spring for her Freshman HS season.
I’m all for bunting when your facing an elite pitcher that is mowing down your hitters. Give the hitters a chance 1st time through and then pick your spots and lay them down.
It depends what you consider "power". If driving gaps and turning singles into doubles, doubles in to triples, and down the line shots into in the park HR's is power, then yes. That is part of the slappers game. There is still a misconception, especially at the younger ages, that slappers are quick kids that can't hit. So put them on the left and "tap and go". That really isn't what the slap game is about., but I digress...

Not sure what your HS competition is like where you live, but a freshman throwing 58-60 in my neck of the woods would be pretty impressive. My DD's freshman year in HS, we had one of the best freshman pitchers in the state playing for us. She threw low 60's consistently, and had some good movement on her pitches. I know she was getting Power 5 looks on her travel team, and no doubt in my mind that her phone will be wringing on September 1st.

I hope your daughter works hard and finds success in her career. (y)

May 29, 2019
That is how we were taught how to bunt for a basehit as a RH in baseball. You almost never see that in softball. You must be young, as you hardly see anybody do that anymore, or watched/played very little baseball in the 80's.

Yeah, pretty close to what I described. I was playing LL and E League in the 80's. We weren't allowed to bunt for hits unless we were in a slump, haha.

I think in softball that your speed should be bunting for base hits whenever the defense isn't defending it, unless situations dictate otherwise, of course. I'm seeing more of a trend that bunts are only to move runners. :rolleyes:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802