Switch hitter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Actually it’s both to conserve energy and avoid possible injury.
There have been some good pitchers/hitters that were allowed to hit early on and then due to injury were relegated to just pitching roles. Paige Parker of OU comes to mind.
Then you have somebody like a Lauren Haegar of Florida who did both. I guess it’s a risk/reward factor. If she’s that good a hitter can we afford not to use her.
If a kid is a good enough hitter, she will be used as a hitter regardless of how good a pitcher she is. Ricketts and Garcia are two prime (somewhat recent) examples and just show you how talented those two are. Problem is both hitting and pitching well take an inordinate amount of reps and there are only so many hours in the day.

Jun 8, 2016
I didn’t get a chance to finish my reply. A curve ball in MLB is different than a curve in softball. I would say much more break on MLB curve high to low vs in/out in softball.
In any case I believe you would prefer/benefit from a hitter being the opposite of the pitcher.
Dude..did you cheat? Shame, shame...

Apr 28, 2019
I haven't seen a switch hitter in softball above 12U. Mainly because there doesn't appear to be the advanatges of switch hitting that exists in baseball which is related to left and right hand pitching..

There is a distinct advantage of switch hitters batters in baseball with the differences in facing left and right handed pitching and batting results. The stats are fairly conclusive of RvR and RvL and opposite. A lot of comes from a huge variety of release points and angle differences between different left and right handed pitchers.

But in softball, the actual release point and angle of lefties and righties is not all that much different. Most pitchers are releasing the ball next to their hips - that mean the difference is the width of the body. And the arm slot is the same - so no side-armers, or mid-slot or high-slot pitching - it is much the same.

Sure the spins of lefties often is annoying and can be distracting to those who don't see it often, but the release point and angles balls come in is not all that different. I don't have the stats and I don't know if the stats exist at the college level but I don't see how we hit left-handed pitching any better, worse or different than right-handed pitching.

So if there isn't a real advanage to switch hitting, why spend any time on it? Pick a side and concentrate on it. If they can be lefties, be a leftie - there is an advantage in that with shorter base distances and of course if you have elite speed.
Understandable. Wouldn’t you if given the choice prefer a lefty/lefty righty/righty matchup? If nothing more than from a picking-up the ball aspect?

Jun 8, 2016
Yeah I usually spell softball with just an S.
Sure you were going to say "What does Kershaw's curveball have to do with softball" but the question was why do baseball players, of which Kershaw is one and is facing one, switch hit, while softball players do not so showing his curveball was very relevant to the question and answer. I guess if I wanted to give more hints I could have shown a good curveball in softball but I figured with all your knowledge that was enough.

Apr 28, 2019
Sure you were going to say "What does Kershaw's curveball have to do with softball" but the question was why do baseball players, of which Kershaw is one and is facing one, switch hit, while softball players do not so showing his curveball was very relevant to the question and answer. I guess if I wanted to give more hints I could have shown a good curveball in softball but I figured with all your knowledge that was enough.
Very nice a self proclaimed math wiz and now we can add mind reader to the mix. Must be nice to be Pattar.

Jun 8, 2016
Very nice a self proclaimed math wiz and now we can add mind reader to the mix. Must be nice to be Pattar.
Not self-proclaimed math whiz just probably better at math then you. You can add in former college baseball player (shot-lived..see next statement) who was a headcase and a guy who hates braggarts to that mix as well if you want to be more accurate.

Apr 28, 2019
Not self-proclaimed math whiz just probably better at math then you. You can add in former college baseball player who was a headcase and a guy who hates braggarts to that mix as well if you want to be more accurate.
Are you left handed by any chance?

Apr 28, 2019
Nope..do everything (except smack myself in the head when I do something stupid) right-handed.
Ok then. Reason I asked is Lefties tend to be smarter and more prone to OCD/ mental issues than the more normal righties. We also gotta have the last word!!!🤪

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom