Swinging / Hitting the change up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 28, 2015
Heatbox
One of our AC told 2 girls on the team that they weren't team players because they swung at change ups. Both girls hit them, not like they swung and whiffed. One was a rocket 1 hopper to 2nd and 1 was a high deep fly to right field. Both outs. Our team throws change ups to get outs. Does it make girls on the other team not team players? I just don't get why coaches say some of the sh@% they do. I get not swinging at a 1st pitch change up but one of these were with 2 strikes and the other had 1 strike. In the 1st game 1 of these girls hit a change to left for an RBI.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
Sounds like very poor advice. If I ever hear of a coach telling his girls to not swing at change ups that team is going to be seeing a bunch of change ups that game. I have told my daughter to not swing at a change up with less than two strikes but that is only if she knew the pitch had fooled her badly. Big difference between taking the change up when you know it fooled you with less than two strikes.

May 23, 2015
HAHA ask the coach to show the girls their fantastic hitting skills. That's always my advice for a terrible "coach"

Hitting a good change is tough and most likely an accident if you really mash it. The best way to hit a change is to hit a fastball

Jun 8, 2016
One of our AC told 2 girls on the team that they weren't team players because they swung at change ups. Both girls hit them, not like they swung and whiffed. One was a rocket 1 hopper to 2nd and 1 was a high deep fly to right field. Both outs. Our team throws change ups to get outs. Does it make girls on the other team not team players? I just don't get why coaches say some of the sh@% they do. I get not swinging at a 1st pitch change up but one of these were with 2 strikes and the other had 1 strike. In the 1st game 1 of these girls hit a change to left for an RBI.

If a coach would have told me that I would have asked him why he said that..and then we would probably get into an argument and he would sit me :rolleyes:

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
A good pitcher's change up comes out of the hand looking like a fastball, if a kid swings and misses at a change up, is it the hitter's fault or the pitchers skill?
If a hitter adjusts and hits a change up hard, kudos to the hitter. Especially with 2 strikes.

As the pitchers develop will he tell the hitters, you're not a team player for swinging at a drop, a rise, a screw, or a curve? Only swing at average speed pitches right down the middle?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478