Swinging down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Efast

Actually that’s not close at toe touch, the forearm is completely vertical.

I would agree that it's not horizontal, but this is a lousy camera angle for determining that it's completely vertical. From this POV, his hand is in the same plane and higher than his elbow, but the angle of his forearm relative to the ground is harder to judge.

Swaggy 44

Banned
Jul 30, 2021
There's one of the major differences - pushing rear leg vs. pulling rear leg.
Ill take the pull. The leg has to win. Its kinda simple

The leg should be in front of the upper body

Last I knew you cant pull from the rear! Basic anatomy. Basic sequence

Sometimes common sense will win out!

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
The ‘pull’ in a good swing is a stretch reflex. Golf does it via a negative move. Baseball swing does it through a positive move. These both leverage the pelvis first. This is how you get forward. Watch the hips ‘breakaway’.

1657995277618.gif

1657995321433.gif

When a hitter needs the stretch earlier they put the foot down against the hands/core staying BACK through timing to help things along. Otherwise the hips will continue forward a bit more and activate the SR through space(EROM).But getting the slack out is the key. It can be done multiple ways. Timing of the ball dictates this. The body sync/timing dictates it in golf.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
While I have no interest in beating this dead horse any more than it has been over the years, I did notice the posters wording:

"Listen to Eugene talk about why ARod and other players felt like their barrel was above their hands and why their feel wasn't wrong"

That's a key point that myself and others tried to explain for years. What some people say they feel and what is actually happening in video doesn't always match. This is a great example of that. Glad to see you are finally coming around Tom ;)

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
While I have no interest in beating this dead horse any more than it has been over the years, I did notice the posters wording:

"Listen to Eugene talk about why ARod and other players felt like their barrel was above their hands and why their feel wasn't wrong"

That's a key point that myself and others tried to explain for years. What some people say they feel and what is actually happening in video doesn't always match. This is a great example of that. Glad to see you are finally coming around Tom ;)

The barrel is above the hands in relation to the spine. ( posture ). Arod, and others who demo it are doing it without proper posture. Add in the posture and it all comes together..

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
The barrel is above the hands in relation to the spine. ( posture ). Arod, and others who demo it are doing it without proper posture. Add in the posture and it all comes together..

Their reps are typically a bit exaggerated as well. The angle they use in the reps is much steeper than during a real swing. Otherwise I agree.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Their reps are typically a bit exaggerated as well. The angle they use in the reps is much steeper than during a real swing. Otherwise I agree.

I had a program that came with some dry swings of several ML hitters. Their dry swings were horrible. Let me see if I still have some of those swings in the vault. It will make you think twice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2