Swinging down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
One of my favorite players. I love CT3's swing.

There was a segment on MLB Tonight where CT3 talked about the changes in his swing from when he was with the Mariners (push and chop down) to where he is now (on plane early and launching from behind the shoulder).

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Eric

Because of his high back elbow, the swing is what some people call swinging down.

I see it that he is keeping a constant top wrist angle and because the barrel starts facing more forward his elbow has to be higher. IMO swinging down has nothing to do with the elbow. Start the elbow lower and the barrel more vertical with the hands in the same relative position wrt the shoulders and he still ‘swings down’ due to the path of the barrel. Ala Paul Molitor.

Apr 11, 2015
I see it that he is keeping a constant top wrist angle and because the barrel starts facing more forward his elbow has to be higher. IMO swinging down has nothing to do with the elbow. Start the elbow lower and the barrel more vertical with the hands in the same relative position wrt the shoulders and he still ‘swings down’ due to the path of the barrel. Ala Paul Molitor.
Yeah, I tend to agree with you wrt to that. I think it's more the connection of the hands to the rear shoulder that give the appearance of the hands 'swinging down' as the rear shoulder tilts down with the turn of the rear hip ahead of it, as both turn forward. But once they're released from the rear shoulder, they're already starting to turn up (or at least level) to meet the downward plane of the pitch as the front shoulder is turning back and up, and thus pulling the front arm, and top hand upwards as well....
hAodpEy.gif

...and as such, as Eric states, the barrel is "plane early and launching from behind the shoulder" as a result of all of that.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Yeah, I tend to agree with you wrt to that. I think it's more the connection of the hands to the rear shoulder that give the appearance of the hands 'swinging down' as the rear shoulder tilts down with the turn of the rear hip ahead of it, as both turn forward. But once they're released from the rear shoulder, they're already starting to turn up (or at least level) to meet the downward plane of the pitch as the front shoulder is turning back and up, and thus pulling the front arm, and top hand upwards as well....
hAodpEy.gif

...and as such, as Eric states, the barrel is "plane early and launching from behind the shoulder" as a result of all of that.
In looking at this swing again, i really think it is a swing i would like my DD to emulate. At least with the hands and torso aspect of it. Hands stay high and aligned with shoulder plane. He seems to be bringing the elbow down before heal plant, but not sure he needs all that leverage yet anyway. That to me is turning the barrel until the top hand is slightly in front of the elbow (all while keeping 'locked to the shoulder') then the elbow and top hand go forward at the same pace until the forearm/hand release into whip. As the hands get in front of the body the barrel releases into whip down, this is when bottom hand is essentially maxed out distance wise. This lever whips the barrel thru as the top hands helps guide.

He does seem to be a bit ahead of the ball from where an ideal contact point would be, but i really like this visual. Leverage seems to happen a bit later than right as the hands start to release. Leg isn't straight until hands are in front. Leverage is still happening imo as the heal plant still stops all forward movement of left hip. pushing it back slightly to help allow right hip to extend thru.

This elbow/hand action, imo, is where i have missed the boat early on with DD. To be able to get and keep the hands ahead and the elbow from dragging (or pulling thru dragging the bat whatever you want to call it) i think it takes a purposeful effort. Also takes strength. Otherwise the stronger torso will outmuscle the hands and arms and pin them to the body and the elbow will come thru and drag. I feel that this seems like a weaker swing due to not allowing the strong body torso muscles to overwhelm, however the whip and the barrel speed created by the whipping action outweighs the 100% total effort torso arm swing. LIke the Malaska golf video on 'Where does speed come from'.

Just my rantings as i look at this. carry on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
re.todd22