swing vs explode

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
Guys I was thinking about my DD swing and also watching other players bat. College, MLB etc. and this thought came in my head. Isn't there a difference between "Swinging" a bat vs "Exploding" with the bat? That being said, I thought about doing some drills with my DD that would promote more of a explode instead of swing. Thoughts?

Jun 8, 2016
The thought process of exploding was useful to me when I played. Slow controlled movements until launch and then BAM!! That said, if the mechanics are not in place you can think like that all you want and it won't do much. As far as drills, some stretch and fire drills may be useful for that purpose. The other thing you have to consider is that some people are just more fast twitch than others..not really much you can do about that other than to go back in time and choose your parents better.. ;)

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017
The thought process of exploding was useful to me when I played. Slow controlled movements until launch and then BAM!! That said, if the mechanics are not in place you can think like that all you want and it won't do much. As far as drills, some stretch and fire drills may be useful for that purpose. The other thing you have to consider is that some people are just more fast twitch than others..not really much you can do about that other than to go back in time and choose your parents better.. ;)

I think this has been a issue with my DD. She understands early and slow movements, but I don't think she understands explode after launch.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I have use the term "explode" many times to describe the suddenness we are trying to create in our swing mechanics. It's a good for for trying to describe the intent. However, watch out for the trap of trying to make everything faster, rushing the pre-launch movements. We still want pre-launch movements to be slow and early.

Jun 8, 2016
I would say while not perfect for her age is fairly good.
I don't disagree. She is 8 so what you see as exploding in MLB and College girls ain't going to be happening with an 8 YO ;)

Here is one of the few good swings, timing aside, my 9YO DD has taken in the last month in games. I consider this to be good "explosion" for her age:

She "explodes" here too but her body positioning is so out of whack it doesn't really matter:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Electrical means energy is created and stored before launch. And flipping the switch releases the energy
Energy first. Then Bursttttttttttttttt.
tumblr_ptcv8qndZH1usf292o1_400.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802