Swing Sequence

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 25, 2011
Bat drag = top hand elbow leading the way, with the bottom hand elbow. Bat lag = top hand elbow more connected to the rear hip?

May 16, 2010
Bat drag = top hand elbow leading the way, with the bottom hand elbow. Bat lag = top hand elbow more connected to the rear hip?

Drag is when both elbows, or sometimes mainly the BOTTOM one, are in front of the knob. It's as if they are trying drag something tied to a rope behind them. The bat is like the rope and they are just pulling in a straight line, instead of throwing the barrel around in an arc around the hands.

When they drag, the hands move forward a long distance, while the barrel does nothing. It whips around very late in the sequence.

When you throw correctly, the bat moves in an arc and gets whipped early.

Jun 11, 2012
PA
Drag is when both elbows, or sometimes mainly the BOTTOM one, are in front of the knob. It's as if they are trying drag something tied to a rope behind them. The bat is like the rope and they are just pulling in a straight line, instead of throwing the barrel around in an arc around the hands.

Made a great investment in a 60 FPS video camera. I filmed my DD's swing and she does quite a few things well, especially off the tee, but she definately gets her back elbow way in front of her hands. I can get her to the proper position in a slow motion swing, but as soon as we get to full speed motion, she reverts back to the elbow leading. It's even worse when she hits BP at practice. Any suggestions for a drill or routine to help her get the feel at full swing speed?

May 11, 2009
I don't want to start any crazy line of emails by saying this but here it goes........
IMHO "Hip Coil" is not mentioned in either the Bustos and Mendoza teachings because they believe it will happen when the hitter turns their knee slightly inward as they go to their stride. If you get into all of the kinesiology with kids then the kids get that wonderful deer in the headlights look and you lose them from there. Does it need to happen.....yes but if you go through how the body works in depth with most 10 - 18 year old girls, they are done with your teaching. However if you ask them to feel certain muscles working and doing different things at different steps within the swing they can and will feel it.
Please don't hammer me on this it is just my opinion and I am not trying to start anything at all!!:)

Nov 29, 2011
I don't want to start any crazy line of emails by saying this but here it goes........
IMHO "Hip Coil" is not mentioned in either the Bustos and Mendoza teachings because they believe it will happen when the hitter turns their knee slightly inward as they go to their stride. If you get into all of the kinesiology with kids then the kids get that wonderful deer in the headlights look and you lose them from there. Does it need to happen.....yes but if you go through how the body works in depth with most 10 - 18 year old girls, they are done with your teaching. However if you ask them to feel certain muscles working and doing different things at different steps within the swing they can and will feel it.
Please don't hammer me on this it is just my opinion and I am not trying to start anything at all!!:)

You are correct, having the hitter turn their front knee in during the stride is a simple cue that young girls will understand and they will be coiling their hips without all the talk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee