Swing plane tee

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
To be completely honest, with MY DD, using a tee has never done much to improve her game swing but that might be due to what sort of swing issues she has. I've done various drills which supposedly address various things but they never carry over. Now I primarily just use it to warmup 🤷‍♂️

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
The goal is a level swing. Posture should conform. Load things right and tilt just happens. Most of the crap taught is false fixes. Side bend, back shoulder plane. Tilt the shoulders etc etc. is nonsense.

A good set up where the chest(swing plane) is over the plate to start and can stay there for middle and low pitches or extend up to adjust to high pitches is best. If taught to plane w the hands the chest will follow where the hands want to go. The chest down and the hands higher than the highest strike during a hitters stride/transitioning should be enough to plane anything.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I think one needs to be careful with a universal swing plane. Hands need to be adjustable (free hands).

5puS0R9.gif

Agree with rigid swing plane forced by the tee’s.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
swig plane trainer.JPG
Here is my swing plane trainer. Slow motion to impact. Back is one tape line, bat planes in to 45 degree tape line Blue masking tape. $8 at Home depot.......Cheers SL

Jun 8, 2016
The low tee helps eliminate bat drag with beginning hitters.
Interesting..you mind explaining the reasoning? My 7 YO gets draggy sometimes but it is usually a sequencing thing (he gets a little nuts with the stride length at times..must be genetic)

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Interesting..you mind explaining the reasoning? My 7 YO gets draggy sometimes but it is usually a sequencing thing (he gets a little nuts with the stride length at times..must be genetic)
I have a background in golf. I played at a reasonably high level for several decades, then I started coaching my daughter's softball teams. One day I was researching bat drag, (it seems that every hitting website has a solution for it), and it occurred to me that in golf there is no swing flaw equivalent to bat drag. With the steep swing plane that golf requires it's difficult to get the elbow to lead the hands on the downswing. And the early release that golf requires also works against getting the elbow in early. I think that using a batting tee is a major cause of bat drag. Think of what happens at the rec level where most players get their start. The coach sends a kid over to the tee with a bucket of balls where she hits into a net. Chances are the tee is set pretty high and he tells her 'swing level'. The flat swing plane that a high tee placement requires and the swing level intention both foster dropping the bat and hands. I don't know what would happen if you sent that kid over there with a tee set at knee level, if I'm in the right situation this spring I might try it. I'll use the SKLZ balls, the low tee and tell them to cut the ball in half on a 45 degree angle, along with a quick demo. I've done this in one on one situations but never unsupervised.

Jul 14, 2018
I use an indoor cage (well it is in a big storage thing and has a propane heater which works pretty well..)

I’ve been trying to piece together something like this, but haven’t seen one in person so it’s tough to pull the trigger on it. With apologies to the OP for the thread hijack, could you elaborate a bit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom