Swing or no?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2018
I'm going to suggest that if it was close enough for an Umpire to call a strike saying it was not hittable is an incorrect observation.
It was not a real game with an umpire. It was a pretend game with an asst. coach acting as "blue". I have the video somewhere maybe I should post it. The pitches were shoulder high and outside. DD's question was when she knows it's a ball should swing anyway to try and make contact in pretend games at prospect camps or by laying off of them does she demonstrate a "good eye".

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
It was not a real game with an umpire. It was a pretend game with an asst. coach acting as "blue". I have the video somewhere maybe I should post it. The pitches were shoulder high and outside. DD's question was when she knows it's a ball should swing anyway to try and make contact in pretend games at prospect camps or by laying off of them does she demonstrate a "good eye".
Okay so the coach was calling strikes. Now could pose the debate that the coach wanted to see what batters can do with making adjustments.

Unless thats trying to say the coach wanted to make sure everybody struck out???
Weird....no.
Sounds like the coach got consistent at calling that a strike. it's a strike. doesn't matter if it's a coach in umpires clothing. LOL

You commented yourself your daughter recognized the coach/ump called it a strike ...
so when she saw it again she went to try and hit it.
(good)
But she missed when swinging.

Suggestion is learn to be able to hit that pitch location.
THAT is the solution to the Dilemma

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Don't play many college showcase tournaments that actually have college coaches show up do you? I would say maybe 40% of the showcases my teams have played in over the years have one day where the strike zone is size of a house to see the pitchers pitch and how the hitters react to adversity and the next day the zone is the size of a squirrel's a$$hole to watch hitters hit and see how the pitchers react to adversity.

ETA: Swing away!

I have, as far as I know, never been within 10 miles of a college showcase tournament.

I was giving my perspective as a coach. I don't want players who swing at garbage. The best hitters tend to be patient ones who do not routinely expand their zone.

The best coaches don't lose their minds because their players strike out once in a while.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I'm going to suggest that if it was close enough for an Umpire to call a strike saying it was not hittable is an incorrect observation.

I've had umpires call pitches strikes that were, quite literally, unhittable (unless you consider bouncing in front of the plate or being so far outside the hitter would have to step on the plate to reach it hittable).

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Here's another perspective striking out because the batter didn't think it was a strike,
or the parents don't think it's a strike,
or the coaches don't think it's a strike...
is no excuse for striking out.

Why does someone need an "excuse" for striking out? Do you need an excuse for 0-4 with four weak grounders to second? Do you need an excuse for pop outs?

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Why does someone need an "excuse" for striking out? Do you need an excuse for 0-4 with four weak grounders to second? Do you need an excuse for pop outs?
Only know that some people use excuses.
Why? ask them.

Some people say the reason they struck out on called strikes was because of the umpire.
Guess the fun question here is who would agree with that.? Not me.

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I've had umpires call pitches strikes that were, quite literally, unhittable (unless you consider bouncing in front of the plate or being so far outside the hitter would have to step on the plate to reach it hittable).
... so now you're bringing out the extreme situations. Pitch that bounce before the plate and are called strikes That's fine. Way to bring up the unicorn moment...😁
Yep...Stuff happens

Me, Like being prepared!
Because...Have caught pitches that bounced in front of the plate and umpires have called them strikes.
And pitches that were in the other batter's box a strike. 2 softballs out of the zone, many, too many to count called strikes!

What I am saying is
be accountable for standing in the box with a bat in our hand.

Certainly hitters crush pitches that were by no means going to be strikes.
Have done so protecting the plate but also by choice.

I'm going to suggest be prepared!
*Do as much as we can,
To be the decision-maker on the field by using our bat!
( not let the Umpire take the bat out of your hand)

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2022
Why have a fictitious strike zone and a count at 2-1? No one learned anything that day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
While I agree that the player should probably adjust and put the ball in play (with two strikes..) in THIS situation, I think if the college coaches are doing this to see how kids react to "adversity", then there are better ways of going about it. How often are college players going to have to swing at pitches which are clearly balls when the situation is not something like a hit and run? If they want to see if a player is able to do this (eg swing at an obvious ball and put the ball in play), then actually call a hit and run during the scrimmage..

Aug 6, 2013
I'm not sure about this particular situation - seems to me maybe this asst. coach liked pitchers over hitters? lol. That being said my DD went to a camp last fall where the head coach was calling balls and strikes. DD was up to bat and HC called a strike on a pitch that was pretty far outside that DD didn't swing at. DD saw the next pitch was coming in at exactly the same location so she swung and did make contact but it was on the end of her bat (it was def an outside pitch) and went straight to 1B. As DD was coming back to get her bat the HC apologized to her and said "my bad on that - I shouldn't have called that first pitch a strike - good job getting your bat on it". DD made the adjustment and although it wasn't the outcome she would have liked she got positive feedback anyway. So in the end in my opinion it's better to swing. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478