Swing or no?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 10, 2020
There's a chance if you're doubting your own performance the coaches would see that.
Better to show a good swing at the pitch then to not swing at a pitch that's called a strike.

Mar 10, 2020
I have, as far as I know, never been within 10 miles of a college showcase tournament.
That explains this.
This probably depends on the coach, but I'd like to see players not swing at very obvious balls even if the umpire calls them strikes because in the long run, that player is going to be more effective.

I suppose it's helpful to be able to adjust to an umpire's zone, but very rarely is the umpire's zone consistently egregiously bad. What usually happens is an umpire makes a single bad call, and now you have a hitter who's swinging at every single bad pitch thinking they'll be called strikes again when they won't.

Chasing creates bad habits. I don't like it. I think I'd appreciate a hitter who doesn't chase, even if it results in a couple strike outs on that particular day.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
That explains this.

So what part of what I said is wrong?

I never said what other coaches are looking for. And I'd honestly be pretty shocked if a lot of successful college coaches wanted players who would turn into undisciplined free swingers because of a couple questionable strike calls.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Aside from bad mechanics and new players,
accepting striking out is ridiculous.

Mike Trout has struck out 1215 times in his career. He's a real piece of garbage ballplayer. Just the dirt worst. Can't believe the Angels haven't cut him by now.

It's 2022 and people who pretend to understand baseball and softball still get hung up on good players sometimes striking out. This stuff was settled almost two decades ago.

Jun 8, 2016
Ted Williams’ frozen head would like a word with those who correlate being selective with striking out. Umpires (and pitchers) don’t suck forever. At the higher levels, for every game an umpire has a (extremely) wide zone there are probably 20 games where the zone is called accurately. There are very few good “bad ball” hitters at the highest levels of softball/baseball. Yeah, you might be able to put the ball in play but against good pitching you are just as likely (if not more) to swing and miss.

Mar 10, 2020
So what part of what I said is wrong?

I never said what other coaches are looking for. And I'd honestly be pretty shocked if a lot of successful college coaches wanted players who would turn into undisciplined free swingers because of a couple questionable strike calls.
You appear to be talking about undisciplined at bats.
Your previous post commented accepting a batter having two strikeouts because of chasing.
Here is my response to those.
Aside from bad mechanics and new players,
accepting striking out is ridiculous.
Edit: this would have been more clear, batters shouldnt accept striking out when they are undisciplined.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478