Swing help-video included

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 26, 2012
[video=vimeo;109768964]https://vimeo.com/109768964[/video]
Thoughts and suggestions? I will post what we have been working on when I have more time. Thanks

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Check your DD's grip. Something doesn't look right(hard to see exactly what). Front leg is in charge of her stride. I would like too see the rear leg be in charge of the stride/front leg. Your DD shifts then swings. I would like to see your DD coil better then shift and swing. Your DD slots/drops her elbow then swings. I would like to see more of the hands turning the barrel to the ball which will slot the elbow. I see 'torque drill' in your DD's swing. I also see 'level' to the ground swing.
This will help get the discussion going for your DD. Also what have you been working on?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
It looks like her wrist is slightly flexed at the top of her swing, rather than straight or extended, which is what we should see. Like RDB mentioned, a grip adjustment might be helpful.
Movement1paldorflx.jpg

I see a lot of good things going on in her swing, and she is clearly a strong and athletic girl. What I'm seeing that could be improved is a very out-front swing rather than the barrel being turned to the ball much deeper (behind the "corner"). I'm not seeing the significantly level-to-the-ground swing mentioned by RDB, except on the second swing which is a fairly high pitch. On the tee swing, she does a good job starting her barrel launch from the rear shoulder, but she pushes her hands forward, and the whip is happening too far out front.

I will say that this is one of the best analysis videos we have seen. :)

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2012
She went from elbows on the table to back elbow up recently. It could be the reason for the grip. Not sure.
We have worked on coiling into the stride but current coach (not head coach but works with the girls on hitting) likes to load hands into toe touch very early with no coil. I have read the turn the barrel threads. Her coach also teaches hands steep to the ball and leveling out. I think the intent is to fix bat drag.
I want her to transfer her weight back to the inside of her back foot(knee cock) and forward by coiling to toe touch on time making adjustment for off speed. She has been going straight to heel plant early on game and bp swings and her upper body doesn’t stay back. When she makes contact she isn’t pushing through to extension. Is this because she doesn’t stay back?
This fall starts her 2nd season of 10U and she isn’t hitting as solid as she was in the spring/summer. Where should I start? Thanks for all of the help.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
We have worked on coiling into the stride but current coach likes to load hands into toe touch very early with no coil.

Without seeing or hearing this coach in action, what I am about to say is going to be nothing more than a guess. There is more than one "hitting coach" in my area that teaches against coil. But when they demonstrate what coil is, they twist their entire upper body as one unit instead of coiling the hip/upper leg and keeping the upper torso facing the opposite batter's box.

Feb 26, 2012
I see the grip now. We talk about knocking knuckles to ring or even knocking knuckles to big knuckles.
We also discuss tempo-slow slow go but obviously have a ways to go. We worked on it yesterday and she could even feel and see the difference.
What is the best way to teach turn the barrel behing the corner?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
She's 10! Wow. I would have guessed older than that, for sure!

Personally, I would put some focus on getting the rear knee and hip started a little sooner as the hands and shoulders resist getting turned. Right now, it looks like her hip and shoulder are turning together and her hands are pushing out front.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Drills that helped my DD:
TeeDrillRH.gif

Happy Gilmore drill:
mini4.gif

Dad you get up and do this drill 'exactly' as it is demoed. Study 'exactly' how it is being performed.
Also read alot.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
She's 10! Wow. I would have guessed older than that, for sure!

Personally, I would put some focus on getting the rear knee and hip started a little sooner as the hands and shoulders resist getting turned. Right now, it looks like her hip and shoulder are turning together and her hands are pushing out front.

I would put some focus on getting the rear knee and hip started a little sooner as the hands and shoulders resist getting turned

BrookeMissingFrames.gif

Resistance up and back AS the rear hip/leg turns forward.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Some people will refer to this as "walking away from the hands". Take notice to the front foot in relationship to the hands. Duplicating that sequence will help with the hips to going first. This gif shows that very well, IMO.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812