Swing Help Small brag: 11 year plays 14u for a weekend

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
My DD will be 12 in a few days .. but got to go to Hershey with her sister's 14U team .. played 2nd and RT field here and there. Game 8 she played entire game and hit the runs into win the game 9-7.
90 pounds, 5'2" ..

Could you tell me what we can do on her swing?
Like to work on more power ... she makes tons of contact ... great bunter

Sep 17, 2009
Congrats on her success. You'll likely get lots of great answers on this one (including being arms extended and not yet at contact), but more than anything I'd watch for her spinning/squishing on her back foot and leaking power out that way. It appears she is doing so in the pictures (she is up on her back toe but her weight is back also). Does she hit whiffles and soft-toss well, but the ball dies against live pitching? She may have a nice swing path but no weight transfer and at 90 pounds she needs it or the ball will "beat" her bat. Put a concrete block behind her back foot and make her drive up and over it off the back foot, transferring her "weight" (all 92 pounds of it) to the ball.

Also look at the bat. It looks like she's swing a Synergy, which is a nice bat. Make sure it's short enough (and thus light enough) that she can handle it -- she doesn't need the length, but she does need that mass of a -10 (like the Synergy she is using) versus a -12, which so many small kids use and again the ball just wins the battle versus the bat.

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
She is using a TPS 19 oz, 31" .. sisters old bat ..
She is 5'2" 90 pounds

T good, likes ping pong balls/stick ... hits drills nicely ..

Will look into weight transfer and try to get a video posted...

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom