Swing Feedback

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 25, 2020
The hands are really high (as Bonesaw mentioned) and front arm is really bent. I’ve only seen a few with the hands that high and they didn’t always have them really high. Edgar Martinez would sometimes have the hands really high. I’ll post a clip later.

These are some extreme high hands. He brings them down to load.

Then there's this guy who has them low and brings them up.

Then there is this guy who seems to have them super low

I think fielder and bonds are deceptive because both have a ton of hip flexion(bent over) if you stood them up their hands would be just even with their shoulder/arm pit

IMO more hip flexion(crouch) is better also. Almost impossible to have too much. Dont force it but maybe try for just a smidge more.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
IMO she needs resistance in her upper body. Get a better stretch across the core. The swings are pushy. Some would say she is swinging with her chest and not her back if that makes sense to you. Another phrase is “ loading in the unload”. Which is basically when the lower is unloading the upper is loading or resisting that unloading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
Some more:

hfHqybQ.gif

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa

Then there's this guy who has them low and brings them up.

Then there is this guy who seems to have them super low

I think fielder and bonds are deceptive because both have a ton of hip flexion(bent over) if you stood them up their hands would be just even with their shoulder/arm pit

IMO more hip flexion(crouch) is better also. Almost impossible to have too much. Dont force it but maybe try for just a smidge more.

Yes most hitters with high hands lower the hands during the load, so at the launch position they are in a normal position.

She isn’t lowering the hands at the launch position. Although she doesn’t drop the hands/barrel. That is why I’m going to post a swing that “starts” with the hands high at launch.

Craig lowered the hands into a normal launch position. He didn’t start his swing with the hands high.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
a picture of a set up for a hitter with an open stance

Attachments

• Sierra Romero.jpeg
    Sierra Romero.jpeg
    147.9 KB · Views: 7
Aug 20, 2017
Thank you both. I thought there is a power leak somewhere

Notice how her hand action and stride action don’t match? Basically as the stride is moving the hitter forward, you want the hands/upper body to continuously work back. This helps with overlap and whip imo. She ends resistance early and the hands fire jumping the sequence

Josh Donaldson has a high knee lift, big load/stride action. This is why is has bigger hand action. It allows his hand action and stride action to match and overlap. Hitters with less load/stride action will have less hand action.

E73147CF-65BE-4BC7-B3D4-6CA6AC83F07F.gif

Oct 2, 2017
I have nothing to add as I havent posted here in quite a while it seems, but I like the videos, moving around her from different positions as she swings!

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Notice how her hand action and stride action don’t match? Basically as the stride is moving the hitter forward, you want the hands/upper body to continuously work back. This helps with overlap and whip imo. She ends resistance early and the hands fire jumping the sequence

Josh Donaldson has a high knee lift, big load/stride action. This is why is has bigger hand action. It allows his hand action and stride action to match and overlap. Hitters with less load/stride action will have less hand action.

View attachment 17071
Yuppers. She's gonna find it soon. A very harder worker at her crafts.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal

View attachment 17071
Yep!

Apr 28, 2014
Appreciate the feedback!
Once these storms pass through we're gonna get outside and put these suggestions into use!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802