Swing Feedback

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Thanks for the input. Will try to work on the hands tonight and see if we can make some progress. Will try to take video and post afterwards

Keep in mind that we're trying to change movement patterns that have been programmed into muscle memory through many, many swings. These kinds of changes can take some time to get sorted out in the head/body of a young hitter. Be patient. Keep it fun. :)

Nov 5, 2014
What do you guys think of the mota drill from the dbsf thread. The one with two tees. To help work on this. There seemed to be some disagreement about its effectiveness.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
What do you guys think of the mota drill from the dbsf thread. The one with two tees. To help work on this. There seemed to be some disagreement about its effectiveness.

It's not a drill I generally like. It can promote other bad habits and improper swing patterns.

I would start by showing your DD video of herself, and have her compare it to the clips posted here (noontimebaseball.com is also a great resource). Point out the location of the hands when the swing is launched, and that the hands turn the barrel to contact from above the ball. See how she adapts those thoughts to her own swing.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
benjey, your daughter is swinging from her left side to the right side of her body (swinging around her body)... IOW's her load is causing her to swing around her body.

She needs to learn how to load/stretch from the front to back (sagittal plane). This should allow her to swing out from her body.

Nov 5, 2014
Thanks TDS. Shockingly I think I see exactly what you are saying. Have not been able to put into words or pictures nearly as well as you just did. It will definitely help me to communicate it to her better

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Here's another look at working out from the rear shoulder...
Mig%20-%20OutFrom.jpg_zpsbcbv3d41.gif

Grabbed from the DBSF thread...
I worked with her last night trying to implement Eric's suggestion of telling her to use her hands to turn the barrel and attack the ball from above. Maybe a little better but honestly I am not sure.
[video]https://youtu.be/not32dve3hs[/video]

I see her attempt change her hand use. I get the sense that she is trying to get her hands below the ball and swing up it. Before, she was doing this by dropping the hands. Now, trying to resolve keeping the hands by the rear shoulder until launch, she is creating a significant REARWARD tilt to get under the ball.

Look at the line of Mig's shoulders as he strides forward into his launch position. His front shoulder is turned slightly in and is lower than the rear shoulder...
Miggy_060315.gif

How does this compare with your DD's shoulder line?

Also look at the timing and directions of Mig's movements. When do the hands move compared with his front foot? Are they moving in the same direction (all-back/all-forward), or are they moving in opposite directions (separation)? How does this compare with what your DD is doing?

Nov 5, 2014
Thanks for all of the great info TDS and Eric. Lots of good stuff to digest and start to incorporate.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Be patient, and work on one component at a time. As you learn more, you will likely want to share all that new information with her as quickly as possible. However, this can lead to overload in a hurry, and make the process much slower.

IMO, keep working on improving the hand movement issues, but put some real time into working on improving the sequence of movements. Getting the sequence correct is a critical part of a good swing.

Nov 22, 2012
Watch her hands. They pull up to the rear shoulder, and then drop downward before launching the bat to contact. This is a long and slow swing pattern with excessive hand travel that will struggle against good pitching. This is a very common pattern with young hitters, and often comes from the instruction to "swing level".

What we want to see is the swing being launched from the rear shoulder, with the bat swinging in a diagonal plane down to the ball, and the hands taking a much more direct path to turn the barrel to contact. Along with this is having the hands being the center of the bat's rotation, rather than arms swinging around the spine. The hands should work out-from the rear shoulder, not around the body.
Cabrera_hands_side.gif

Eric do you know of any drills that can be done to teach the feel of what you are describing? I agree with you 100% just looking for a way to teach it. Thanks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28