Swing feedback

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2009
I've only read the previous 4 or 5 posts. Just an excuse in case I missed something.

The rear leg is unweighted when you get your rear into the swing, for lack of a more technical description.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I've only read the previous 4 or 5 posts. Just an excuse in case I missed something.

The rear leg is unweighted when you get your rear into the swing, for lack of a more technical description.

A point of clarification ...

Do you view the rear leg as unweighted in the photo below?

2i563k.jpg

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Ok, so the question remains, HOW does your rear leg get unweighted? Your dancing around it. How does it get weighted THEN UN-weighted
No clips of TED or golf videos please. And Dixon isn't here so let's not ask Him in.

Happy New Year Five, I really hope you figure it out.

Tjintx, I’m going to answer your question as to my view of how the rear leg becomes un-weighted. I’m hopeful that you’ll return the favor and answer some of the questions I’ve asked of you … such as why you view lordosis as bad? Add to this … do you consider thoracic extension bad? Since you believe you have things correct, what is your version of what is correct?

To answer your question on the un-weighting of the rear leg, there are two significant phases relative to the rear leg beyond the FbC phase.

As I’ve shown in the photos above (and below), the rear leg bears a large percentage of the body’s weight upon completion of FbC. The center-of-pressure is about the rear foot towards the end of FbC / peak-leadside-lateral-bend. The rear leg is not un-weighted at this point.

2i563k.jpg

After the FbC phase there is a transitional phase. The lower body transitions out of FbC as the barrel is still going back (i.e., preparing to throw).

The last phase is (or at least should be) reactionary. The rear leg will complete the shift in a forceful manner (as measured by pressure plates). This will occur not by thinking about your rear leg, but by simply ‘reacting’ to the act of “turning-the-barrel”/”working-the-barrel”. Good hitters need only think about their rear leg to get their motion going forward (even with a no-stride approach), and from there they can be completely focused on their hands … as many pros are.

Synchronization between the upper and lower body is key in the swing. One could force their hips/rear-leg and totally bypass the key synchronization. Not a good idea IMO.

Synchronization becomes perfectly timed when you allow the rear leg to ‘react’ in the last phase usage of the rear leg.

If you attempt to forcefully rotate too hard initially, at the beginning of the reversal of the hips … immediately following FbC, then it’s possible to destroy the feel of having the hands in control.

A hitter that habitually forces their lower body, with the lower body, with the goal that this will magically pull the upper body along with perfect synchronization, will in fact fight synchronization issues in a major way. Actively firing the lower body is a very tough way to become highly synchronized.

While rotation can be thought to be a major source of force generation, it is possible to rotate too forcefully too early. Such rotation, without synchronization, is problematic.

You can’t adequately describe the explosion relative to the lower body in isolation of the upper body. If you wish to consider the ‘explosion’ as being when the hands are seen to blur the barrel, then take note that the lower body was already underway … hence from the lower body’s perspective there wasn’t an explosion immediately coming out of FbC, but instead more of a running start into an explosion. Some wish to think of this with a gear analogy with the intensified feeling of the lower body happening as the gears mesh.

Hopefully this answers the question. The rear leg, IMO, must be reactionary in its final usage. You can think of the rear leg as a brace if you will, for the torso to work on.

Would appreciate answers to the questions I have asked.

A very Happy New Year to you as well Tjintx!

May 3, 2014
Arching the lower back activates core muscles such as the Psaos. When you practice arching there is real arching. When you swing while arching there doesn't have to be any real arching.

If you want to hear it from someone who has been teaching this for years, go to Hubie Magic Hitting Academy

Pulling back into your hips activates the hamstrings which activates the psoas which pulls on the lumbar spine which creates lordosis. Just arching your lower back is out of sequence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478