Swing experiment

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Hi Shawn, great to see you still swinging the bat. As you know I am still trying to figure things out, just like most other people on here. The biggest issue I see with your current swing is you are out of sequence.. ABAF. You are launching with all the weight on your back foot.

Please see DW below. He starts in a very similar position as you. However notice how the hips are shifted forward before launch. He's till anchoring the back foot.. but he's getting 50/50, 60/40 before launch. You are sitting on your back foot. Notice how is back leg gets straightened? This is not happening to you because you are all back. Notice how there is no forward movement after Wright plants hits front foot.. that's because he's already forward before launch. Work on getting FYB.. I think focusing on getting all weight into your back foot and leg(as mentioned above) will compound your problem.. you will be ABAB and never get forward or your ABAF movement will get much worse.
View attachment 19836

Use you midsection to get forward while resisting with your back side(anchored back foot, resisting with scap) while maintaining posture. This will eliminate the popping up you are seeing in your current swing. It's a common issue for those who are ABAF.

Just my 2 cents

Julray

I’m going to apply Wright’s coil.

Feb 3, 2016
Swing 1- hands drop almost immediately. Hands and shoulders out of sync. Slow looping arm swing. Don't think your getting on top of any fastball unless you start your swing before the pitch is released. Seemed like extra slo-mo.

Swing 2- hands are better. Shoulders and hands are inside and locked in a tighter rotation. Quicker more powerful swing. #2 is the better of the two swings. Barrels in the zone ready for contact.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I wasn’t going to post this until I had it mastered. Until I took about 10,000 swings. This is by no means a finished product. I’m swinging about 60/70 percent effort level. Batspeed is down and swing time to contact and rotational acceleration is decreased/increased. Hand speed is with in range.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I’m going try to increase early batspeed or torque at the handle, instead of trying create force at contact.

I don’t think I’m over swinging into the bag like in the past.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Richard did a quick analysis on my swing. He pointed out the same things I see.

Weight shift as I’m starting the swing. Accelerating the barrel out front. Need to generate the corner and maintain it.

I knew I needed to accelerate the barrel sooner. I don’t like my back foot skipping forward. I think my skipping forward is because of my weight shifting as I initiate the swing.

My thinking is when swinging into a bag it shouldn’t bounce back. I think if I TTB deep and accelerate the barrel early the bag will just absorb the barrel.

May 21, 2018
Richard did a quick analysis on my swing. He pointed out the same things I see.

Weight shift as I’m starting the swing. Accelerating the barrel out front. Need to generate the corner and maintain it.

I knew I needed to accelerate the barrel sooner. I don’t like my back foot skipping forward. I think my skipping forward is because of my weight shifting as I initiate the swing.

My thinking is when swinging into a bag it shouldn’t bounce back. I think if I TTB deep and accelerate the barrel early the bag will just absorb the barrel.
Are you saying you are shifting your weight too soon?

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Are you saying you are shifting your weight too soon?

If you watch my coil in the back hip/leg you can see I give it up and weight shift as I start to swing. A little all back and all forward.

I think weight shift after initiation of the swing isn’t a good thing.

I’m saying I weight shift too late. I think it’s more of a coil issue, compared to an weight shift issue.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28