Swing experiment

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
You are (subtly) shifting your weight first to your front leg. You can see it when the front knee moves first. It is leading you to a front-leg block/push-back which causes the head popping up (vs. lowering as you'd see in a live, well-sequenced swing). I don't mean any of that as an insult rather a description. It is somewhat understandable as you are really concentrating on the top half, not the bottom. So you are getting more pushback than clear the hips action on the front-side. And when that happens, as in many low-effort swings, the launch is much more against and around the front-leg. You see it in soft-toss, tee swings, warmup circles swings, swing demos, etc. You know, the things some build their swing models around.

Try playing around with this: move closer to the wall, putting the bag deeper in your stance. Loosen your grip to allow a more handle-torquey rearward TTB feel in your hands. IMO you are death-gripping a bit. Let the front arm ride more up than around. On the bottom half, play around with an open or three quarters stretch and fire set-up position with a strong rear-leg-weighted/rear hip pivot point feel to the launch. See what it does your your tilt, your posture and head rise, bat path and contact point, which should now be deeper and more next or behind you than out in front. Different feels all around.

That’s why this forum is great. It’s not about how smart you are when it comes to teaching the swing. Someone might see something that you don’t. Don’t worry there have only been a few who pushed my buttons in the past.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
You are (subtly) shifting your weight first to your front leg. You can see it when the front knee moves first. It is leading you to a front-leg block/push-back which causes the head popping up (vs. lowering as you'd see in a live, well-sequenced swing). I don't mean any of that as an insult rather a description. It is somewhat understandable as you are really concentrating on the top half, not the bottom. So you are getting more pushback than clear the hips action on the front-side. And when that happens, as in many low-effort swings, the launch is much more against and around the front-leg. You see it in soft-toss, tee swings, warmup circles swings, swing demos, etc. You know, the things some build their swing models around.

Try playing around with this: move closer to the wall, putting the bag deeper in your stance. Loosen your grip to allow a more handle-torquey rearward TTB feel in your hands. IMO you are death-gripping a bit. Let the front arm ride more up than around. On the bottom half, play around with an open or three quarters stretch and fire set-up position with a strong rear-leg-weighted/rear hip pivot point feel to the launch. See what it does your your tilt, your posture and head rise, bat path and contact point, which should now be deeper and more next or behind you than out in front. Different feels all around.

I think that’s exactly what I need.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Richk

BTW, I was trying to get the hands back and even arm bar. That might be part of the death grip, trying to reach back. It does look a little stiff.🙂

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I also need to remind myself to create an axis at the rear hip, or stay into the back leg, or to get all the weight to the back heel for leverage.

May 12, 2016
giphy.gif

giphy.gif
]

I was trying to do the command drill in this swing. I was also trying to arm bar, it felt like a was completely stretched out.
Hi Shawn, great to see you still swinging the bat. As you know I am still trying to figure things out, just like most other people on here. The biggest issue I see with your current swing is you are out of sequence.. ABAF. You are launching with all the weight on your back foot.

Please see DW below. He starts in a very similar position as you. However notice how the hips are shifted forward before launch. He's till anchoring the back foot.. but he's getting 50/50, 60/40 before launch. You are sitting on your back foot. Notice how is back leg gets straightened? This is not happening to you because you are all back. Notice how there is no forward movement after Wright plants hits front foot.. that's because he's already forward before launch. Work on getting FYB.. I think focusing on getting all weight into your back foot and leg(as mentioned above) will compound your problem.. you will be ABAB and never get forward or your ABAF movement will get much worse.
gif (2).gif

Use you midsection to get forward while resisting with your back side(anchored back foot, resisting with scap) while maintaining posture. This will eliminate the popping up you are seeing in your current swing. It's a common issue for those who are ABAF.

Just my 2 cents

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Julray

Yes I need to get the spirals set, load the center spiraling outwards, get the coil to run all the way through the back scap.

May 12, 2016
Julray

This was my first attempt of the command drill in awhile. Everything should be loaded and ready to fire.
I hear ya.. I read you were doing the command drill, but while performing that drill you were not in a loaded position. You were sitting on your back leg and not in a FYB position. Basically it looked like you were a no stride hitter with an ABAF sequence.

Basically you are performing the command drill here;
Capture.PNG

and not here...
Capture1.PNG

If you were starting in the proper position (Loaded) then no way you would be standing tall at contact.. Again just my two cents :)

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I hear ya.. I read you were doing the command drill, but while performing that drill you were not in a loaded position. You were sitting on your back leg and not in a FYB position. Basically it looked like you were a no stride hitter with an ABAF sequence.

Basically you are performing the command drill here;
View attachment 19838

and not here...
View attachment 19839

If you were starting in the proper position (Loaded) then no way you would be standing tall at contact.. Again just my two cents :)

Thanks, it is a work in progress. How to channel and maintain the coil. For example I focus on hip coil and forget the connection through the scap. Scap pinch.

I still have a long ways to go to be back in shape. Some of it is the body going retarded from lack of use in past, use it or lose it.

I will try to improve Monday and repost the command drill.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Hi Shawn, great to see you still swinging the bat. As you know I am still trying to figure things out, just like most other people on here. The biggest issue I see with your current swing is you are out of sequence.. ABAF. You are launching with all the weight on your back foot.

Please see DW below. He starts in a very similar position as you. However notice how the hips are shifted forward before launch. He's till anchoring the back foot.. but he's getting 50/50, 60/40 before launch. You are sitting on your back foot. Notice how is back leg gets straightened? This is not happening to you because you are all back. Notice how there is no forward movement after Wright plants hits front foot.. that's because he's already forward before launch. Work on getting FYB.. I think focusing on getting all weight into your back foot and leg(as mentioned above) will compound your problem.. you will be ABAB and never get forward or your ABAF movement will get much worse.
View attachment 19836

Use you midsection to get forward while resisting with your back side(anchored back foot, resisting with scap) while maintaining posture. This will eliminate the popping up you are seeing in your current swing. It's a common issue for those who are ABAF.

Just my 2 cents

Ok, Wright coils. Part of that coil has the hips moving forward slightly.

Also, Wright has the front toe on the ground throughout. That can enhance the backside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802