Swing experiment

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 22, 2016
Southern California
I plan on working on the scap. I took some swings the other day while trying to engage the scap/back. My back/scap was sore the next day. Upper back was sore, my lower back was sore when I first took some swings. I’m going to do some scap exercises to make them more functional and create better awareness. I wasn’t engaging the scap correctly.

I need to work on HPP. There is to much push the hands forward or to much unloading.

Need to never stop loading creating a better stretch between the back leg and scap/upper body.

Have you tried any of the numerous drills that John Sangillo posts on Twitter/Instagram? Many will help you to develop the HPP. He's a TM disciple and has really taken the philosphy and ran with it. He's post a TON of content since mid-March.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Ordered my net, tee and Walmart has a bucket of balls with a foam cushion that is cheaper then the balls on Amazon. I’ll take a look at the balls when I do my grocery shopping.

May 12, 2016
I agree with Eric, kudos to you for doing this. Over the next month I will post my swing as well. I think the biggest thing you need to work on is maintaining posture. In most of your swings you will notice you are coming out of your swing, standing tall before contact. When you progress to hitting a moving ball this is going to cause you issues.. plus you are losing power.

Feb 25, 2020
I plan on working on the scap. I took some swings the other day while trying to engage the scap/back. My back/scap was sore the next day. Upper back was sore, my lower back was sore when I first took some swings. I’m going to do some scap exercises to make them more functional and create better awareness. I wasn’t engaging the scap correctly.

I need to work on HPP. There is to much push the hands forward or to much unloading.

Need to never stop loading creating a better stretch between the back leg and scap/upper body.

Ive had similar experiences with soreness! Sore everywhere. My hands fall apart also.

Im interested to see how your swing looks hitting a ball(follow through etc).

Lookin pretty good. I also think you pop up a little. Maybe getting the front foot out in front a bit more would help. Might change it from a "pop up"to a "pop back"

What is HPP btw.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I agree with Eric, kudos to you for doing this. Over the next month I will post my swing as well. I think the biggest thing you need to work on is maintaining posture. In most of your swings you will notice you are coming out of your swing, standing tall before contact. When you progress to hitting a moving ball this is going to cause you issues.. plus you are losing power.

I agree, I need to stay down. I can do it correctly if I remind myself before swinging.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I think I’m not using the bag correctly, trying to hit it to hard and driving into the bag.

My net and tee won’t be here until the 9th and 11th. I’ll do some filming tomorrow into the bag and try let the bag absorb my swings. Also dial back the effort level.

I’m going to calibrate my sensor as well, I think the batspeed readings are off.

Sep 17, 2009
I think I’m not using the bag correctly, trying to hit it to hard and driving into the bag.

My net and tee won’t be here until the 9th and 11th. I’ll do some filming tomorrow into the bag and try let the bag absorb my swings. Also dial back the effort level.

I’m going to calibrate my sensor as well, I think the batspeed readings are off.
Hey Shawn, I wasn't going to say anything because I like your experiment and you seemed to be doing well but the fact that you were swinging full speed 'through' the bag always alarmed me. I figured it was helping you get a feel that was useful. I wouldn't have a young kid do that on a bag, I like the bag but only for stop swings (without a bag it's really hard to actually do a stop swing, for instance, on a ball off a tee). Sorry to hear but not surprised you are feeling some aftereffect from slamming the bag.

re: your last swing, I agree with Eric F about cheating your pullback and that results in pushing your hands. I've liked other swings you've done better.

2br02b

Trabant swing
Jul 25, 2017
Hey Shawn, I wasn't going to say anything because I like your experiment and you seemed to be doing well but the fact that you were swinging full speed 'through' the bag always alarmed me. I figured it was helping you get a feel that was useful. I wouldn't have a young kid do that on a bag, I like the bag but only for stop swings (without a bag it's really hard to actually do a stop swing, for instance, on a ball off a tee). Sorry to hear but not surprised you are feeling some aftereffect from slamming the bag.

re: your last swing, I agree with Eric F about cheating your pullback and that results in pushing your hands. I've liked other swings you've done better.

Further to this - maybe try swinging PVC pipe into the bag - or take a break till the net comes..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802