Swing experiment

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
I'm concerned about warning track power vs going yard.
Also, that misaligned path still gets a wider launch angle range over the fence.

Jun 8, 2016

Some data here

My question regarding the 1/100 seconds was with regards to this statement:
The additional distance is with the bat near top speed so the bat covers that distance more quickly. And all I need to do is start a beat sooner. We're talking 12" at 70-80 mph. That's almost 12 feet in a tenth of a second, so or 14" in one hundredth of a second.
Unless he knows the acceleration at each point along the bat path, for the long and short bat paths, he has no way of knowing whether the longer path will have a time to contact which is 1/100 longer....One cannot just assume the different mechanics will have the same acceleration profile along the different paths. Like I said before, the way the body generates force isn't that simple. Heck the longer path in space may actually have a shorter time to contact because the body may generate force more efficiently for that path...

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Yeah because I don't do that here..You asked @TDS what he meant hence I don't want to answer for him.

If you were to ask me what the front side is used for, I would say mostly to allow for proper adjustments when one is fooled although I am not saying it isn't used in a swing where one isn't fooled..I just don't have a good enough understanding of that to offer up a good explanation. I do think that this view is different than @TDS.

Is that sufficient for me to pass ( I am only looking to pass..not ace) your class in "thinking outside the box 101" ? ;)

Edit: Also being considered an expert and being one are two different things. Einstein's papers proved he was one whereas I have seen a lot of people who are considered experts in various fields who are complete dunces...

Yea, I want both legs leveraged weather it be sitting off-speed or turning on that fb in on the hands.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
My question regarding the 1/100 seconds was with regards to this statement:

Unless he knows the acceleration at each point along the bat path, for the long and short bat paths, he has no way of knowing whether the longer path will have a time to contact which is 1/100 longer....One cannot just assume the different mechanics will have the same acceleration profile along the different paths. Like I said before, the way the body generates force isn't that simple. Heck the longer path in space may actually have a shorter time to contact because the body may generate force more efficiently for that path...

Another factor may be a "running start", and how much barrel velocity is generated before the "go" moment.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
When you say running start are we talking about a tip? Barrel float?

I'm talking about barrel movement before launch/"go" - could be float, or "on-around", etc. If there is pre-launch barrel movement, it will affect the acceleration curve after the "go" moment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802