Swing experiment

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 26, 2019
Did, you have that problem in a hitters count where you were able to cheat (start your movement earlier) for those pitches ?

My approach was the same middle of the field early in the count but would cheat in a hitters count.
No, not in a hitters count usually. I also played for coaches and at a time when striking out got you to the bench quick, especially if you looked fooled on off speed. I think my trouble with hard and in was more a result of rather getting jammed on fastballs than fooled on a curve. If a pitcher could jam me in consistently then I would adjust and get off the plate/ look in more.

I should note - my trouble in was relative. I played D3 (so keeping it in perspective), but I did hit over .400 for a career and led the conference in batting average as a senior.

Jun 8, 2016
I am curious to see what pattern you guys @Shawn @TDS think my swings fall into. I apologize for the grainy footage but it was still VHS at the time. I think I am 21 in the video and just graduated college.

Nice. Wish I had video of me hitting when I was that age..of course it would probably have to be edited for cursing but still 😉

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
No, not in a hitters count usually. I also played for coaches and at a time when striking out got you to the bench quick, especially if you looked fooled on off speed. I think my trouble with hard and in was more a result of rather getting jammed on fastballs than fooled on a curve. If a pitcher could jam me in consistently then I would adjust and get off the plate/ look in more.

I should note - my trouble in was relative. I played D3 (so keeping it in perspective), but I did hit over .400 for a career and led the conference in batting average as a senior.

Congrats !! Nice career !! Were you a natural or did you have to work hard at your craft ?

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2019
Congrats !! Nice career !! Were you a natural or did you have to work hard at your craft ?
I had to work very hard at everything except hitting. I had a high compete level in the batters box and always felt like I knew what the pitcher was going to throw next. Drives me nuts when a player takes a huge swing at a fastball and just misses hammering it and then they are surprised that the next pitch is offspeed. Usually what a pitcher starts you off with they will come back to. Stuff like that. When asked if he thought someone would ever hit .400 again. Ted Williams said only if they were a great pitch guesser.

Reactions: TDS

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I had to work very hard at everything except hitting. I had a high compete level in the batters box and always felt like I knew what the pitcher was going to throw next. Drives me nuts when a player takes a huge swing at a fastball and just misses hammering it and then they are surprised that the next pitch is offspeed. Usually what a pitcher starts you off with they will come back to. Stuff like that. When asked if he thought someone would ever hit .400 again. Ted Williams said only if they were a great pitch guesser.

I am with you on that 100 % !! Its what separates the avg from the greats !! The greats have barrel awareness that the avg don't.. It's why folks IMO use the "top of the ball" aiming mentality.. IOW's the greats own there zone and rarely get beat.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101