Swing experiment

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 31, 2019
Most recent swing. I was trying to focus on the big muscles doing all the work and trying to relax the upperbody. I was also trying to TTB without muscling up, just let it happen.

I'm not standing up on the front leg, head staying down better. I think I can do better, better posture and swing plane. Maintaining better hip hinge, I forgot to focus on this in the swing. I was pre-occupied with focusing on the big muscles and trying to relax the upperbody.

giphy.gif

The front foot is staying closed better.
Definitely staying in your lower half and not standing up. I'm sure I will use the wrong words here, but it looks like your hip hinge rotation is pulling the back foot forward, where earlier videos you were gaining ground but it looked forces and disconnected. Im interested in the experts opinion on this.

May 3, 2014
I look at leverage against the front side as the handle of the slingshot. When the slingshot is created or max separation against the front leg it creates leverage. Then the swing unfolds with leverage against the front leg.

Shawn, another way to think of it is the handle of the slingshot is the rear leg. Stretch behind the handle. Sudden barrel turn (and by sudden I mean more sudden than most will ever know. It takes practice and your forearms will hate you) releases the slingshot. The handle (leg) will snap/turn forward once the resistance against the leg is gone. You are not trying to rotate your spine. The feeling is very direct and towards the opposite field which happens to be inline with the stretch behind leg. But the rear leg will turn the turning barrel into the ball. Believing the front side is the handle will never allow you to drive the ball oppo field bc you have to rotate and/or push your barrel to the ball.

Understanding the feeling in this clip may change your mind more than my words

pmLLfZ9Zg

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Definitely staying in your lower half and not standing up. I'm sure I will use the wrong words here, but it looks like your hip hinge rotation is pulling the back foot forward, where earlier videos you were gaining ground but it looked forces and disconnected. Im interested in the experts opinion on this.

Yes the back foot skipping forward to much is a bad thing. The difference is old habits of loading the back leg/hips and unloading. What fixed this issue for me was to creating an axis of rotation at the back hip and a rotational point of the hands deep as well. I plan on trying to do this very similar to TM as well, to break old habits.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Shawn, another way to think of it is the handle of the slingshot is the rear leg. Stretch behind the handle. Sudden barrel turn (and by sudden I mean more sudden than most will ever know. It takes practice and your forearms will hate you) releases the slingshot. The handle (leg) will snap/turn forward once the resistance against the leg is gone. You are not trying to rotate your spine. The feeling is very direct and towards the opposite field which happens to be inline with the stretch behind leg. But the rear leg will turn the turning barrel into the ball. Believing the front side is the handle will never allow you to drive the ball oppo field bc you have to rotate and/or push your barrel to the ball.

pmLLfZ9Zg
I am not sure i understand this gif. The rear leg in this gif stays firmly planted on the ground and the front hip is not leveraged to the ground and goes back. Where in a fastpitch swing the rear hip gains ground and the front hip stays in place. Or am i missing something?

Jul 31, 2019
Am I missing something here? I am finding a lot of teaching points from both golf and tennis swings that can be applied when creating load, rotational power, connection and hinging

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal

pmLLfZ9Zg
What I see in this clip is a tennis player a little fooled (notice his head moving back) and athletically adjusting to the situation. The ball got a little in (deep) on him so he reacts. If you showed this tennis player this clip of himself he probably would not like his form. Just because BB hit this way most the time doesn't make it most efficient. You can find(cherry pick) gifs of great hitters doing this action and it is usually on an inside fastball and them reacting to it. Look at all the great hitters that never or rarely swing like this. Are they all lower level swings? NO. There is more than one way to be great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12